Eyecandy competitor

Story: Xgl -- Linux gets a 3D desktopTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
richo123

Mar 09, 2006
5:32 AM EDT
With a severe bout of M$ Vista PR Diarrhea about to deluge the airways its good to see Linux can compete on the glitz front. I think it will take some time to sort how much of this is actually useful though.
jimf

Mar 09, 2006
6:44 AM EDT
To compete on an equal footing with Windows, Linux must have it's own 'native' apps. Emulations just don't cut it. I've always thought of wine as a stopgap and certainly not any long term solution to anything. Whether or not you're a gamer, If this is what gets Linux a decent native gaming environment, Xgl is a very important step forward for the Linux desktop.
techieMoe

Mar 09, 2006
8:28 AM EDT
I concur with you richo123. I am also wondering how much of this eye-candy will turn out to be useful. I thought the same thing about Sun's Project Looking Glass: neat stuff, but will I use it? 3D Desktops seem to be more of a "cart before the horse" to me. No one yet has offered any real, tangible reason they're preferable to a traditional desktop interface.

I look forward to someone surprising me though. ;)
herzeleid

Mar 09, 2006
11:49 AM EDT
The eye candy is important, trust me. People will want to use what they enjoy using. it's human nature.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!