Excuse me

Story: What Happened to Slashdot?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
incinerator

Mar 13, 2006
2:09 AM EDT
Wow, quite big guns here. I'd almost suspect you'd just wrote off your frustration about something, perhaps something personal?

Just for you to know: Just last week I finally got a slashdot account. Here are some of the reasons why I did so:

1.) On slashdot, you hardly get double posts. On lxer it seems some news items are deliberately getting re-posted after one or two days. Might seem neat, but I find that boring. 2.) The news junkie I am, my interests go a wee bit further than Linux related news only. Imho slashdot is a wee bit more diverse than lxer for instance. I tend to like that. 3.) slashdot's commenting system works quite nicely. Of course, >90% of all the comments are not worthwile reading, but that also applies to lxer (to a lesser degree though, I admit). 4.) Are we getting monotheistic now? Would you believe it, I even read MAINSTREAM news on a daily basis. I believe in diversity and the opportunity to hear both sides of a story. Makes it easier to see and prove errors in stories, as well. 5.) Vocabulary here, vocabulary there, l33t5p34krz don't care much I guess. 6.) Flaming is everywhere, nothing specific to slashdot I'd say. 7.) Dissing people is dangerous, particularly when the reader cannot verify the truth behind the statements himself easily and the author denies to elaborate.

Sorry Tom, but imho that rant of yours was unnecessary. Slashdot's still a nice website to regularly visit. True, "hierarchical" editorial control has its weaknesses, but it's got some advantages, as well. lxer is good, but "the best news site in the know universe" it is not. I hope you realise that. (the same is true for slashdot, off course). Just let the reader decide and abstain from dissing like this, you'd only damage your own reputation.

Regards, Dominik
tadelste

Mar 13, 2006
3:54 AM EDT
Dominik,

I understand your appreciation of the site. I'm a financial contributor to Slashdot and have supported them for some time. This story appear on digg.com. http://digg.com/linux_unix/What_Happened_to_Slashdot_

Of course, other points of view exist which differ from yours. Personally, I don't consider what I wrote as a rant or based on emotion.

The question I asked is what happened. At one time, Slashdot lived off of Linux news. VALinux purchased Slashdot for that reason. So, I asked succinctly what happened to the Linux news.

I didn't complain. I didn't down play their good qualities. I even acknowledge them for the rich culture the brought to the community.

The article also questioned whether they were 100% the creation of the users and readers.

I have contribed to a number of Linux news sites. That's my only interest.
incinerator

Mar 13, 2006
10:28 PM EDT
Arg, I realise that I totally misread your article and interpreted as a criticism on slashdot, but the main criticism was about that CNN. I really should have read that CNN article more thoroughly. Sorry about that :-(

tadelste

Mar 14, 2006
6:41 AM EDT
No problem.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!