Story/News submit guidelines?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
grouch

Mar 14, 2006
9:38 AM EDT
Where are the guidelines for submitting a story, specifically, news items?

Thanks in advance.
SFN

Mar 14, 2006
10:37 AM EDT
I've never seen any guidelines. I think it's more just write what you have to say and, unless it gets a big editorial thumbs down it gets published.

There is this article though on writing an article - not specifically for lxer but that is certainly mentioned.

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/lf/view/54348/
tadelste

Mar 14, 2006
11:24 AM EDT
Adam,

I wrote the article as a style guide for submissions. It looks generic, but it's what we use and it's in the editor's forum. So, they are supposed to use it.
grouch

Mar 14, 2006
11:41 AM EDT
Thanks.

I was looking for a little guidance on submitting news stories, such as:

1. How much is too much to copy from an article?

2. What html tags are allowed?

3. Which tags are filtered out?

4. Is it preferrable to copy something from the story for the "lead"?

5. If an editorial summary is preferred for the lead, what is the proper method of indicating it's an editorial comment?

I must've screwed up on one earlier because it disappeared almost immediately.
tadelste

Mar 14, 2006
3:05 PM EDT
1. How much is too much to copy from an article?

over 2000 words. The articles that get the most hits run about 800.

2. What html tags are allowed?

most of the content tags like p's, br's, hrefs, small, ul & li

3. Which tags are filtered out?

Don't know the answer to that one. The post becomes part of an html page. You might select some text in an article and check the selection code.

4. Is it preferrable to copy something from the story for the "lead"?

Either way. I used to copy but now I write my own leads.

5. If an editorial summary is preferred for the lead, what is the proper method of indicating it's an editorial comment?

use the small tags and then [Ed: whatever you have in mind to write -grouch] slash small.

If I use tags in comments, they disappear.
grouch

Mar 14, 2006
4:09 PM EDT
Thanks bunches, tadelste!
grouch

Mar 14, 2006
5:27 PM EDT
Herschel_Cohen was kind enough to send some email head-thumping, so maybe I won't mess up next time. I thought each news story suggestion was supposed to have something quoted in the "Body" for when people clicked the "Read more" link.
Herschel_Cohen

Mar 14, 2006
6:05 PM EDT
grouch - don't put it that way. Was I mean (like you) no I was kind and just explained why I pulled the entire text into the Summary. A word you took umbrage over - so it's a Lead, whatever. Did I not explain the Body was reserved for internally generated content, i.e. creations of our readers and editors? Did I not explain that the Body being empty allowed readers quick, direct access to the story in keeping with the clean appearance of this site?

How did I get to thump you on your head? What a lie, I could not even get the hit man to pay you a visit with the paltry sum I could offer him (we are on a tight budget here, no expense charges allowed). So no way did I do you physical violence as you so rudely implied. I guess my heart and wallet were not so inclined this time (but who knows what the future may bring).

Now finally: don't answer - how many times do I have to tell you not to feed the trolls. Watch what the others do: "LOOK & RUN", now you should do the same.

Your buddy, UberGroucho (where is the umlaut when I need it?)
grouch

Mar 14, 2006
6:16 PM EDT
Not only am I forwarding all hospital bills to you, I'm also sending the therapists' bills, too.

How was I s'posed to know "summary" == "Lead:"? Or that "Body:" is for real writing, not copy and paste?

I only messed up 2 times (or was it 3?) before calling for help. Now I have lumps and trauma and these awful shakes.

Must resist the "Send"...
Herschel_Cohen

Mar 14, 2006
6:25 PM EDT
Damn! We just got to fund that expense account ... or we might incorporate. Hmm, Murder Incorporated has a nice sound to it, better check to see if it's taken.
grouch

Mar 15, 2006
7:22 PM EDT
Another question while I'm waiting for the bandages to come off...

What about articles that are not current headlines, still current interest, but haven't shown up on LXer before?

Specific example: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2006/02/09/What-Does-...

(I particularly like the 'GNU/Unix' mind-twister).
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 16, 2006
3:52 AM EDT
If I have to separate the two of you, again, their's gonna be trouble. LOL :-)

Don't feel bad grouch, I got my thumping from Tom. I'm still walking a little funny from that one.

Just kidding Tom! ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!