Step 5...

Story: How to give Linux AwayTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
cubrewer

Mar 14, 2006
10:55 AM EDT
I have tried giving away older PC's with Linux, for all the reasons Scott outlines. I found that many people who don't already have a computer (of their own) are put off by not having the same thing as everyone else. They think that it's inferior because it's free. I think a partial antidote to this is to (1) re-assure the person that you use Linux every day (you do, right?) and (2) to offer to help and coach them when they have trouble.

There also will come a time when you have to explain why their Linux PC won't run program X (whatever X is, it may have a Linux analog or it may be something esoteric and Windows-only like the St. Jude's Math-a-thon CD or the latest cool PC game). Not having an AOL email client used to be a problem for people who wanted .. "email with training wheels" but web-based email is getting so easy to use...

When this happens, it never hurts to mention how restrictive Windows licensing is...
sharkscott

Mar 14, 2006
11:37 AM EDT
Quoted: "They think that it's inferior because it's free. I think a partial antidote to this is to (1) re-assure the person that you use Linux every day (you do, right?) and (2) to offer to help and coach them when they have trouble."

cubrewer, Yes I do.

1. I make sure to tell them that it is the ONLY operating system I use as many times as I can. If I get the chance I will talk about everything I use it for. I ask them what they use their computer for and find something I do on my computer that is similar to what they do on theirs, which is key. Being able to talk about something that the customer can relate to drastically increases the chances that they will remember what you talked about, and that it was about Linux.

2. I offer my phone number and e-mail to everyone I talk to about Linux that buys a retail box or takes a burned CD I give them. I always make sure to have several copies of a good 'live' distro to give away to the people that are interested but to afraid or indecisive about buying a retail box.

Don't tell anyone about the CD's though, OK? :-)
helios

Mar 14, 2006
2:17 PM EDT
Having been in the advocacy business for less than two years, I will share with you a tactic that may seem counter-productive, but has worked more often than not.

People HAVE heard about Linux. They have heard that it is difficult, that it is buggy and that it is only for geeks. People also have a strong aversion to change. This is what I do. When I enter into a conversation with anyone about computers I ask them if they use Windows. Most simply say yes. I then do a facial "cringe" and then say something like "man, I am sorry." That will provoke many to inquire as to why I would react that way. I then tell them that I used Windows for 10 years and it almost ruined my business. I then tell them that I and my business and all my family members/household computers only run Linux. If they ask about it further I tell them. If they just nod and do not pursue the matter, I act as if I am ending the conversation by saying something like, "It's a shame someone would take advantage of you like that." This normally rejuvenates the conversation and I fairly well follow Scott's model of introduction. People hate to think they are being left out of something or are being played for a sucker.

All is fair in love, war, and market share. I do my best to take a chunk of the latter on behalf of GNU/Linux

sharkscott

Mar 14, 2006
2:33 PM EDT
Helios: You have stated a tactic I DO use, I was just unsure of how to present it. I do the facial cringe without trying I have been told.

You are right that it rejuvenates the conversation, You talk of your business, I talk about my "everyday problems" and how it made me feel. I usually say something to the effect "I got tired of hating my computer". The phrase changes a little from conversation to conversation but it usually works.

Thank You for the vote of confidence.."I fairly well follow Scott's model of introduction", its nice to know I am not all the way out in left field.

For the record, and I am sure you would agree, I DO NOT and WILL NOT EVER try to 'dupe' or lie to someone, this is about trying to get and keep someone engaged in a conversation. The Truth has its own power of persuasion.

Quoted: "All is fair in love, war, and market share. I do my best to take a chunk of the latter on behalf of GNU/Linux"

I could not have said it better myself.

sharkscott

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!