Glad that Novell bought SuSE ?

Story: Rewrite SUSE Conform to DebianTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
FredMobach

Mar 15, 2006
10:40 AM EDT
Tom,

While you're glad that Novell bought SuSE I respectfully disagree. When I compare the previous SuSE Linux Professional to the current SuSE Linux 10 I see a lower price at a high cost : - no source RPMs in the package - a cheap box for the CDs - not the outstanding manuals

In case someone thinks that SLES might be a replacement for SuSE Linux Professional please reconsider as the price gap for me would be more than 20,000 euro per annum on mostly low cost but high profile systems with more than 1,000,000 attendees weekly.

At a side note, when I check the named.conf file on a server here I see : volens:/etc # ls -l | grep named.conf -rw-r--r-- 1 root named 6182 Feb 28 18:25 named.conf That's not a link as far as I know. :-)

Regards,

Fred
tadelste

Mar 15, 2006
11:28 AM EDT
Fred,

You can respectfully disagree any time your please. We need your input at Lxer.

I'm sorry that Novell did those things but in the US, SLES came long before Novell bought SUSE. IBM marketed the SLES package and helped get it certified under the Common Criteria. SLES cost $5000 per box in US last time I looked.

I should have made it clear that I referred to the free version of SUSE 10. I don't use SLSE any more now that I would have to pay for it ;-)

On the other issue, I used chroot for BIND and my named.conf is a symbolic link. If one doesn't hide the files deep in the /var/named..... directory, it would be as you indicated.

I'm happy to see you.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!