Dapper Drake will launch on 1 June

Story: Ubuntu Dapper Drake delay decision dueTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
henke54

Mar 16, 2006
10:00 AM EDT
quote : "An online meeting between Mark Shuttleworth and his team voted in favour of the six week delay for Ubuntu's Dapper Drake. According to the new "slewed" schedule, the beta version will be available on 20 April – the original date set for Dapper Drake's release - and Dapper Drake will launch on 1 June." http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=923
helios

Mar 16, 2006
2:45 PM EDT
Any bets that the Gnome 2.14 release is the culprit here? I'm making book for those so inclined.
tadelste

Mar 16, 2006
3:18 PM EDT
I'll place a bet if you're making the book. How many points? Do you allow a spread if the points change and I made a second bet after 3 days?
salparadise

Mar 16, 2006
9:31 PM EDT
I have Dapper running at home and work. If you liked Breezy you're gonna love Dapper.

Evolution 2.6 comes with it and it actually works with the Outlook Server at work. The only thing I haven't been able to do so far is view other peoples public calendars but I can send and receive calendar events and Evolution shows me my folder structure on the server rather than the local folders and it does all this without a single crash.

1st of June? Sigh.
richo123

Mar 17, 2006
5:07 AM EDT
I was at the meeting on IRC (very noisy with around 400 people). The sense I got was that expectations are now very high for Dapper because of Ubuntu popularity and the statements made about stability and long term support. Shuttleworth doesn't want to disappoint particularly enterprise customers who he is assiduously cultivating at present.

I have Dapper installed at present and it seems fairly close. Haven't noticed any great issues with gnome myself.
SFN

Mar 17, 2006
5:33 AM EDT
Quoting:I have Dapper running at home and work. If you liked Breezy you're gonna love Dapper.

I have a couple of oddities running on my machine at home. Nothing critical just not the basics. Video editing through firewire using Kino. Some gaming (Q3A, Q4 and UT 2004). A couple of online poker apps using Wine.

Any reports from anybody on how those kinds of things are working in Dapper? I keep reaching for the upgrade then backing off.
salparadise

Mar 17, 2006
6:09 AM EDT
I don't use Kino so can't answer that one.

I'll have a play with cedega and some3d games when I get back this evening and post the results here.
richo123

Mar 17, 2006
8:19 AM EDT
SFN: My strategy is to whack Dapper on a spare 4G partition while retaining breezy on the main 100G partition. I continually update (often using chroot from breezy) and test my fave apps. If anything is borked I can put in an early bugreport and get it fixed for Dapper final.
salparadise

Mar 17, 2006
1:09 PM EDT
A brief test of cedega and GTA:Vice City was successful.
tuxtom

Mar 18, 2006
11:10 PM EDT
I really love Ubuntu, but I don't do Gnome (I prefer KDE or the lighter WM's...not a biggot, just my personal prefs). Tried Kubuntu, but found MEPIS more appealling...Kanotix a very close second. ALL have their annoyances. Personally, I am too damn lazy to roll my own desktop.

Still, I recommend Ubuntu to others. I think it has the most momentum. Their decision to delay the next release is good. All of GNU/Linux is riding on the PR of the distro right now, as far as a replacement MS desktop goes. Q/A is crucial at this juncture. I'm more than willing to take one for the team on the desktop environment, which is basically a "theme" to me these days. Methinks I'm getting old...used to have a lot more argument in me for no rational purpose.

Ubuntu DoublePlusGood, in Newspeak. (Though I propose Good++ in Tomspeak)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!