How to get beat up on Slashdot and Digg.com

Story: Ubuntu, Macintosh and Windows XPTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tadelste

Mar 20, 2006
3:23 PM EDT
For anyone wanting to experience people slamming you and your work, write an article and submit it to both places. I didn't submit this one to Slashdot but as an active member of digg.com (member overall ranking: 105) I usually submit something.

Getting beat up could cause you considerable discomfort. If you consider your writing an extension of yourself, you could take the flames personally. The 119 nasty comments on Digg and 399 comments on Slashdot compare to approximately 3.5 million hits from those sites. If people visit and read your story that's all that matters.

I consider writing a craft like putting a motherboard in a case or installing Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Slackware, SUSE or another distribution on a PC. My concerns deal with dangling participles, accuracy of the information, sentence structure, minimal use of words, information flow, etc.

If you write, then the pieces you put together in a story should concern you. How people deal with you doesn't matter. Just remember that they are dealing with you from their symbolic world and nothing else.

As editor-in-chief, I would love to see you write for LXer and get batted around on Digg.com and Slashdot.org. You could also get hit by OSnews.com readers. Just remember that they are readers only, not God.

If you want to become a LXer author, let me know. Enjoy!
grouch

Mar 20, 2006
3:35 PM EDT
Now I have to go see what they're saying about you. If you don't have horns and a tail in at least some of the comments, you weren't half trying.

[edited to add:] Congrats! You got people talking about all 3 instead of each in isolation.

As usual, there is a tremendous amount of noise on slashdot, including one post that copied and pasted the entire article. Digg has a lot of talk about drivers. I thought that old myth was dead by now. Maybe some folks will get educated by all the discussion.

I'm disappointed that nobody suggested drawing and quartering you, though.
sharkscott

Mar 20, 2006
4:12 PM EDT
Quoted: "If you write, then the pieces you put together in a story should concern you. How people deal with you doesn't matter. Just remember that they are dealing with you from their symbolic world and nothing else." - A lesson I recently learned.

It looks like you grabbed the baseball bat and gave the hornet's nest a whack, good. They needed it.
tadelste

Mar 20, 2006
6:13 PM EDT
Scott: I was really just digging for hits. I thought you knew that. That's the reason I didn't post the article there. ;-)

sharkscott

Mar 20, 2006
8:18 PM EDT
I am a "little" thickheaded huh?
slippery

Mar 21, 2006
4:25 AM EDT
When you put yourself in the public eye through writing, acting, performing, or whatever, you set yourself up for criticism. Even if most people like your work, someone is not going to agree with you and tell you about it. It goes with the territory. I've had to grow a thicker skin since I started writing for a number of web sites. Still, I think it is worth it if I have something to say. Keep up the good work.
tadelste

Mar 21, 2006
5:01 AM EDT
slippery: From your comment I would say that you definitely understand the process. I just want to warn you that somewhere don't the line it will become similar to building boats in a bottle.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!