Is the sky really falling? - Too early to tell

Story: Microsoft Has Stopped Competing with LinuxTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
trueash

Mar 22, 2006
2:52 AM EDT
Sorry, I must have overreacted in my yesterday's post. Still, I am sure that it's not technological (im)perfection that matters in the corporate sector. What matters is the bottomline, and technology is only important if it makes any impact on that. Otherwise, it's an unnecesary risk. Another point that I'd like to make is this: being a monopolist in software market, Microsoft is also a monopolist opinion leader. The message their decision sends to the business community is not very good for FOSS: "Linux? Gimme a break... Those guys are just not serious enough for us to bother..." To put it short - FOSS may be perfection itself, but it's worth nothing if nobody uses it.
tadelste

Mar 22, 2006
4:39 AM EDT
Nothing is a big generalization but it sounds kinda sorta right. People use it, but it's more the exception than the rule. You're spot on about opinion leadership. I couldn't have articulated any better than that. I also didn't occur to me. Well done.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!