Got one of these systems at work

Story: Userful Inc, Linux Computers and Administration CompanyTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
linuxlibrarian

Mar 28, 2006
5:15 AM EDT
I've been advocating for Linux in my public library for a few years now, and recently got the Userful (with a "r", guys :) ) system put in place in lieu of our old Windows desktops.

The difference is phenomenal. Sure, not *truly* open source, but honestly, whereas I might care about that on my home system, I sure as hell just want the best tool for the job at work. Honestly, I don't mind closed source as long as the system *works*. This works like a charm.

Before our systems were riddled with spyware, viruses, and people managed to find ways around our lockdown software. We had hours of downtime a week.

With the Userful system, there's been about ten-fifteen minutes of downtime when we changed a dodgy memory stick.

I am a one woman IT department. Userful is a godsend, and it *does* get people's interest piqued in open source applications. And it gets them over the fear that Linux is difficult to use.

Prior to using Userful, I did small experiments in the library with Xandros (just because it was the easiest to lockdown straight from the install) and they were highly successful. The Userful solution is great because it takes a lot of the burden off me and I can concentrate on what I became a systems librarian for... delivering services, not cleaning people's crap off public computers.

So go easy on the fact it's a hybrid system. It's opening doors for a lot of people... not just the implementors, but the users, as well. :)

shoe
Herschel_Cohen

Mar 28, 2006
5:42 AM EDT
Sorry, I corrected it again, assuming the added "r" was the usual sort of typo I commit repeatedly. Tom had corrected it earlier and I screwed it up, but "Who Knew? Certainly not I". [I can carry this on for a long time, but I will spare you this time so that you can serve the people. In stead of reading crappy humor.]

On the issue of hybrid vendors, it is a hot button issue for some readers, hence, my wording that one reads with an open mind first. What I would like to see is Linux being inserted into areas where the system works, is seen to be reliable and is obviously not a Windows(TM) system. If the numbers could be increased by going fully open I would support going that route, however, having never really been a successful business person I do not force my views upon others. Hence, it is not I that is being harsh about the business model UseRful pursues. Indeed, I wish them success.

By the way, you can inform Userful they can use my new form of their company name for a small fee: always open for business.

Thanks (seriously) for your first hand experience.
tuxtom

Mar 28, 2006
5:52 AM EDT
linuxlibrarian: I hear ya. It has been my argument for years that computing is a user-driven endeavor. I was a Java Software Engineer for a long time. My mentor-supervisor couldn't say enough about Java. He was a brilliant engineer, but he could not wrap his mind around the problems facing our industry. Bottom line: software isn't about software, it's about solving real-world problems...for profit. I have generally found that I can solve those problems easier and more cost-effectively with GNU/Linux and its associated utilities.
grouch

Mar 28, 2006
2:29 PM EDT
>"Bottom line: software isn't about software, it's about solving real-world problems...for profit."

tuxtom: That sums it up nicely. There is a lot of opportunity for those who know software to solve problems for those who do not. The trouble with secret, proprietary solutions is that they attempt a kind of extortion by locking the solution away from the customer. It's up to the customer, of course, to decide if the need is worth taking that risk.

Customer says, "I have a problem."

Good business says, "We can solve that with open software, following open standards. Creating the solution will cost you less than the problem is costing you now. We will maintain that software for you, for a fee. Your data remains yours. Any software we create, we get to use for other problems."

Bad business says, "We can rent a magic black box to you to solve that problem. You must promise not to make copies of the magic black box or try to figure out how it works. Each person who uses the magic black box must pay for another license. Someday we will update the magic black box and will expect you to rent the new one, too, because it will cost you more to free your data from the magic black box than it will to rent a new magic black box."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!