or just creates more FUD?

Story: Osdl forges link between battling desktop Linux factionsTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
jimf

Apr 04, 2006
6:28 PM EDT
I my experience, gtk apps run fine under kde and qt under gnome. So, is this something needed, or, yet another programming language. In any case it sounds more like FUD than a 'universal' solution. "battling desktop Linux factions" indeed... One advantage in Linux 'is' the choice of desktops.and I certainly don't blame anyone for using a choice other than my own.
swbrown

Apr 04, 2006
7:13 PM EDT
There's a lot of ground under the hood that should be common but isn't. A lot of wheel reinvention, a lot of dueling APIs. I assume the project will work towards fixing that.
jimf

Apr 04, 2006
7:40 PM EDT
Not saying it won't, but I'm not holding my breath either :).
Sander_Marechal

Apr 06, 2006
3:07 AM EDT
Go read the API in the portland docs section. It's *not* about Gtk/Qt interfacing (since that indeed already works as you said). This is about integrating and standardizing other, disparate parts of the Gnome/Kde API's. There's more to Gnome and Kde than just their widget sets :-)

As far as I have seen, the current alpha release covers such things as installing, running as different user, creating menu/desktop launchers, opening files and URL's, sending e-mails, temporary file management, etcetera. A common virtual file system API is also underway.

-- Sander Marechal
jimf

Apr 06, 2006
10:31 AM EDT
I stand corrected. This article http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1946108,00.asp?kc=EWRSS... puts a much more positive and accurate spin on it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!