Locus of control

Story: Red Hat Ends Fedora FoundationTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
eric_boutilier

Apr 05, 2006
8:22 PM EDT
My 2 cents (copying from a blog post I just made):

At first I was surprised that Red Hat finds it necessary to reserve ultimate control (veto power) over the Fedora project.

Veto power? The OpenSolaris Charter certainly does not grant Sun veto power. But then as I read the message more carefully and thought about it, something hit me like a bolt.

First, some background: It's important to understand what exactly OpenSolaris is (and isn't). Unlike Fedora, OpenSolaris is purely a co-development project built around a code base. In other words, we do not conflate the OpenSolaris project/code with any of the distros derived from it. By contrast, Fedora is all three conflated into one: a) the Fedora co-development process b.) the Fedora code-base and c.) the Fedora distro.

How does this relate to community self-governance?

With OpenSolaris, one set of policies and procedures (the recently ratified OpenSolaris Charter) applies specifically to the co-development project and, by association, the code-base. This charter is community-driven. A separate set of policies and procedures applies to Solaris Express -- Sun's bi-weekly OpenSolaris based distro. This distro is Sun-driven and of course nobody objects to Sun controlling it because anyone can create their own OpenSolaris-based distro. (And as everybody knows, SchilliX, BeleniX, and Nexenta, have done exactly that.)

Maybe RedHat should adopt this concept? It certainly stands to reason that the Fedora community developers would like it better..

Eric http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/eric_boutilier
Rascalson

Apr 06, 2006
4:27 AM EDT
The only interesting part to me is the part of the charter where sun reserved the right to use the patent knife hidden in "Cuddle" to kill any of the opensolaris "babies" as it so chooses.
eric_boutilier

Apr 06, 2006
5:42 AM EDT
Anonymous (Rascalson) wrote: > The only interesting part to me is the part of the charter where sun reserved the right > to use the patent knife hidden in "Cuddle" to kill any of the opensolaris "babies" as it so > chooses.

That's impossible. See: http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/tucker?entry=open_source_li...

Eric
Rascalson

Apr 06, 2006
8:00 AM EDT
It is not impossible and nothing in the blog you linked to says anything about the changes or address the intent or ramifications of the changes, specifically the changes to the MPL with regards to patents, that Sun made when drafting the CDDL. To this date there has been no answer from either Sun fans or Sun officials on this.
eric_boutilier

Apr 06, 2006
10:58 AM EDT
Sorry, what I meant was that once a company puts code under the CDDL, as Sun did with OpenSolaris, it's _impossible_ for that company to (quoting you) "kill any of the opensolaris babies" in _any_ way. The "babies" (e.g. Nexenta, BeleniX, and SchilliX) are derived from code that is governed 100% by the terms of the CDDL, and the terms of the CDDL do not give _any_ entity -- Sun included -- any special position or control. That's why I pointed to Andy's blog post.

Now having said that, maybe you meant something else. The way I read your post was you were claiming that Sun could use patent-related wording in the CDDL to kill OpenSolaris based distros like Nexenta, Belenix, and SchilliX...
Rascalson

Apr 06, 2006
12:13 PM EDT
That is correct. There is nothing otherwise harmful in the CDDL except for that curious change that would give SUN a loophole to crush anyone that became a serious threat to sun using OpenSolaris code.
eric_boutilier

Apr 06, 2006
2:14 PM EDT
>... that curious change that would give SUN a loophole to > crush anyone that became a serious threat to sun using OpenSolaris code.

What? Your post doesn't make sense based on what's already been said.

"that curious change" ? "loophole" ? "crush anyone" ?

Please at least reveal who you are -- better yet, make a non-ambiguous argument -- better yet, both.

Eric
Rascalson

Apr 06, 2006
7:25 PM EDT
You put forth OpenSolaris as having a better idea for fostering a developer community than Red Hat. However as is the case with most from Sun or fans of Sun you won't address the possible problems with the CDDL that make any OpenSolaris "Community" effectively a police state with Sun as the probably not so benevolent police. You talk about Red Hat retaining veto power over the fedora project yet Sun retains the Ultimate veto power of patents over the OpenSolaris "community"? Why reveal who I am? I'm a nobody. I'm just an administrator in a vast sea of administrators. Yet when this question about CDDL came up in the comments on several different sites shortly after Sun released it, I looked at the license comparisons and said "yup", somethings not right here. Like the GPL, there is no ambiguity. The questions are very straight forward, and of course thus far still unanswered.
eric_boutilier

Apr 07, 2006
5:02 AM EDT
Previously, I wrote: > > The way I read your post was you were claiming that Sun could use > > patent-related wording in the CDDL to kill OpenSolaris based distros like > > Nexenta, Belenix, and SchilliX...

And you replied: > That is correct.

But _how_ is that possible?

Believe me, I understand that you might not want to take the time to explain what's been explained (non-ambiguously) elsewhere. I often don't either. But please at least provide a link that explains how the above is possible. Seriously. The patent issues around different OSI-approved licenses is something I need to learn more about.

Eric
Rascalson

Apr 07, 2006
8:08 AM EDT
There is still no ambiguity and sorry I don't do others research. In fact the questions are so un-ambigious that I don't even have to formulate them for you at all. All that is need to start is one word: Patents.
eric_boutilier

Apr 07, 2006
9:37 AM EDT
Heh. You do live up to your alias, don't you?

;-)

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/eric_boutilier

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!