GoDaddy Just lost My Business

Story: Web Server Market: Microsoft Gains, Apache/Linux DeclinesTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
devnet

Apr 07, 2006
10:57 AM EDT
I've been waiting to renew my domain with them...good thing too.

I'll be taking my business elswhere now.
number6x

Apr 07, 2006
11:20 AM EDT
I know GoDaddy also offers dedicated servers running Red Hat. I've been looking to host a new rails app.

GoDaddy was not #1 on my list because a) I haven't used Red Hat since 4.2, so I didn't want to have to learn a lot. b) There are hosts with much more Ruby on Rails experience than GoDaddy.

Even still, this gets them scratched off my short list.

So that's one current sale and one potential sale gone.

billbar

Apr 07, 2006
11:26 AM EDT
Would it be inappropriate to ask who covered the cost of doing this?
jdixon

Apr 07, 2006
12:26 PM EDT
> Would it be inappropriate to ask who covered the cost of doing this?

Probably the same place they got the money for their Superbowl ads. Anyone want to be bet all of this was planned in advance?
grouch

Apr 07, 2006
12:42 PM EDT
Notice it is spin. From http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2006/04/06/april_2006_web_...

"The shift is driven by changes at domain registrar Go Daddy, which has just migrated more than 3.5 million hostnames from Linux to Windows. Go Daddy, which had been the world's largest Linux host, is now the world's largest Windows Server 2003 host, as measured by hostnames."

Hostnames? Not active sites? Hmm.

"There are now more than 80 million web sites on the Internet, as the April 2006 survey received responses from 80,655,992 sites, an increase of 3.1 million hostnames from March 2006."

Did somebody run a name generator and maybe hand over some moola with a note, 'Park these for me' ?

Must be too much positive news about that Linux thing going around.
maggrand

Apr 07, 2006
3:42 PM EDT
Who is stupid enought to run IIS as a webbserver. I would move all my pages to a SECURE place atonce.
moopst

Apr 08, 2006
9:44 AM EDT
Much was not said in the article.

How much did Go Daddy pay for the Windows Server 2003 licenses they must have procured? Or, how much did MicroSoft pay Go Daddy for the change?

Also, how many individuals woke up one morning to find their domain is now hosted (or hosed) on IIS? What were the contract implications among those users?

Methinks I smell a rat.

I'd also be interested in seeing the uptime statistics on netcraft on those domains (or at least the ones that are used).
henke54

Apr 09, 2006
5:40 AM EDT
quote : "This has been hashed out already. If you read what actually happened, they have these domains "parked and they are not being used", meaning just one Windows box can host them... all the others that are active are still running on LINUX.

Check it out. It seems that Microsoft is using misleading tactics again!" http://newsvac.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/08/1155216

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!