Proof

Story: New PoC malware can infect both Windows and LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
maggrand

Apr 08, 2006
4:34 AM EDT
Well i take this as a proof of what i have and many whith me expected. The worst virus makers in the world is the Antivirus companys. They even create own viruses to increase there sales.
moopst

Apr 08, 2006
6:31 AM EDT
I like how they gave Linux the top billing by making it the first part of the name. My guess is they wanted to create more Linux viruses to keep their Windoze losers paying for Anti-Virus software rather than adopting virus free (nearly) software.
sharkscott

Apr 08, 2006
7:04 AM EDT
I thought I was right, they made it just so they could say that Linux "could" be infected.

Funny, they can make up their own viruses but they can't find the root-kits when they come knocking huh?
jdixon

Apr 08, 2006
8:11 AM EDT
> but they can't find the root-kits when they come knocking huh?

Oh, I'm sure they (and most of the other AV vendors) knew all about the Sony rootkit. Not identifying it to their customers was a conscious decision, not an act of incompetence.

Whether that makes them more or less trustworthy is a matter for the reader to decide.
sharkscott

Apr 08, 2006
11:03 AM EDT
You understood me perfectly,

I NEVER trusted them anyway, ever.

When I first heard about the Sony root-kit, I knew that all the so called "anti" virus companies were in on it.
jdixon

Apr 08, 2006
6:59 PM EDT
What I found most interesting in the article was that while it stated that the virus could "run" on both systems, it never once mentioned how it would spread. Do you suppose there's a reason for that?
helios

Apr 09, 2006
4:34 AM EDT
Paying attention to seemingly small things has earned me dual labels....attentive and anal. Either way, I will point you to the last sentence of one of the articles in question.

"For those thinking their “pet” computer is invulnerable to the virus threat -- it’s not,” SANS said.

http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/virus/s...

I believe we can safely pitch journalistic neutrality out the window for this article. Ya think?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!