A needed article

Story: Innovation in Linux: An extraordinary Linux reviewTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
evoman142

Apr 09, 2006
10:10 AM EDT
I have been looking for an article like this for six months now. This is exactly what I needed to read, not a how-to on compiling and installing there are plenty of articles out there for that, but what each of the options do. I am not a total newb, nor am I a kernel guru, yet I cannot seem to find help on what features I need. I read the options when compiling my kernel but am unsure about all of the features so I went through a lot of trial and error with mixed results. This is good a good map of features that is needed for the non-experts who want it to just work.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 09, 2006
10:39 AM EDT
Starting with a precompiled kernel is a great idea. Change one thing, see what happens. I like the Debian kernels because everything that can be a "module", other that a good variety of boot devices, of course, are built that way. So recompiling has never been needed, by me anyway.
hkwint

Apr 09, 2006
1:31 PM EDT
Thanks for the compliments.

The article was not meant as an HOWTO, but if it's helpfull, that's great!

You see, to write a really helpful HOWTO, I would need to know much more about the options. This are only the options I am aware of, but I don't run servers or embedded devices, only a desktop etc.

I wrote the artcile because I configured a kernel from scratch, and you can't imagine how much work that is, even when you know your way around. I spent longer configuring the kernel than Xorg took to compile, for example. And all those stuff made me curious. I mean, that's how to learn about the kernel: start wondering about those features.

I agree it's a good idea to turn things on and off, but I prefer looking on wikipedia, the internet, and the Documentation. All documentation can be found in

/usr/src/kernel/Documentation

by the way.

So just keep trying, and most important, don't be afraid.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 09, 2006
2:03 PM EDT
Sure, "Don't be afraid" is important.

Also, "Don't erase a working kernel until you've tested its replacement" is good advice. :^)
jimf

Apr 09, 2006
8:37 PM EDT
Quoting: "Don't erase a working kernel until you've tested its replacement" is good advice. :^)

Ahh.... That's 'critical' advise :D !
grouch

Apr 10, 2006
3:25 PM EDT
The ancient rules of computing bear repeating:

Rule #1: Never go from A to B without a way back to A.

Rule #2: Never violate Rule #1.
jimf

Apr 10, 2006
5:06 PM EDT
And, grouch and I have never violated either rule :-D.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 17, 2006
1:08 PM EDT
You mean, like putting "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade --yes" in a cron job while tracking Sid?

:^)

There, is that better? BTW, never listen to recordings of the Penn Jillette radio show http://www.pennradio.com/ before going to sleep. It really promotes wakefullness!
grouch

Apr 17, 2006
6:41 PM EDT
Bob_Robertson:

Add '--yes' to that and become truly evil. ;)
hkwint

Apr 19, 2006
10:57 AM EDT
Oh, and never pull out the power-plug while glibc is installing... (Last time I did, whole Gentoo had to be reinstalled)
grouch

Apr 19, 2006
6:08 PM EDT
LOL hkwint! Kinda hard to compile anything if your glibc bootstrap died in mid boot, eh? (I realize it was not likely a laughable matter at the time, but you obviously worked through it).

BTW, the power plug is only intended to be used as the emergency exit from Viciously Insane.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!