throw it to Mepis?

Story: Kubuntu in TroubleTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
jimf

Apr 10, 2006
12:12 AM EDT
I'm really not surprised at this. Ubuntu has been a Gnome developer thing from it's inception, with Kbuntu being thrown in as an afterthought stepchild. With the recent Mepis decision to use Ubuntu kernels, I begin to wonder if some backroom deal isn't in the works. That would allow Ubuntu to concentrate on Gnome while Mepis continues on with KDE. It certainly makes marketing and development sense.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 10, 2006
12:33 AM EDT
It doesn't sound like a bad idea but is Mepis set-up like Ubuntu?

Can they co-exist and not conflict with each other?

Is Mepis like Ubuntu where "Their best product is their only product."?

It certainly seems like Canonical wouldn't miss the "K" in Ubuntu.
salparadise

Apr 10, 2006
3:55 AM EDT
Is Mepis like Ubuntu where "Their best product is their only product."?

I think so yes.

Since Mepis already does KDE and is looking to use Ubuntu, taking over Kubuntu makes great sense. (Maybe they can apply some of that "out of the box functionality" that Mepis does so well and that K/Ubuntu doesn't).

Tracer

Apr 10, 2006
5:10 AM EDT
Canonical needs to get its act together and help Kubuntu. It's essential. I can't help but also think there's some sort of background thing here we don't know about, such as Mark Shuttleworth being miffed by an attitude issue at Kubuntu. I just don't know. Perhaps it's listed on his blog? I used to have a link, but no more. And if they don't plan to help Kubuntu, then they should at least have the decency to blog about why.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!