It's already been done and it's not better

Story: The Internet: Time to Bulldoze and Start FreshTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
slippery

Apr 12, 2006
12:01 PM EDT
If the author wants a gated network, just sign up for AOL and don't roam outside it's walled garden of advertising. There used to be things like CompuServe and Prodigy that offered the same thing.

Of course, being gated to keep bad guys out also means you are kept in.

You can easily set up a private network and only let in who you want. That's what corporations do. Hell, that's what I do at home. But I don't want to block all interaction with the Internet.

I don't see the Internet as a slum. It mirrors the real world. Yes, there are slums, but there are nice areas, too, where people can interact without harming each other. I'd rather engage the world, good and bad, than be disconnected from it.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 12, 2006
2:02 PM EDT
I concur

I subscribe to the thought that if you don't like what is on T.V., don't watch it. I don't watch T.V. because I choose too. Not because I let someone else choose for me what I like or do not like.

Like slippery says; "I'd rather engage the world, good and bad, than be disconnected from it.".

I couldn't agree more.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!