nice idea, but there are a lot of errors

Story: Linux Distributions Bird's Eye View - a Mind MapTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
mbaehrlxer

Apr 14, 2006
9:55 AM EDT
redhat is not based on fedora, but rather fedora is based on redhat, and redhat enterprise is based on fedora. that is important because some of the distributions you list as based on fedora are actually based on the original redhat. yellow dog linux among others. also mandrake is based on redhat and not started independently.

foresight is NOT based on redhat/fedora but on rpath with is an independent development.

turbo linux is also based on redhat.

linspire is debian. almost every distribution using the debian package manager should be based on debian, i don't think there are any that adopted the deb system later in their live, but i could be wrong on that.

suse is based on slackware (and slackware is based on SLS) and eventually changed their packaging to redhat's rpm. sid, etch and sarge are not distributions but versions and therefore just don't fit in this graph. it makes no sense to say that eg xandros is based on etch, when older versions of xandros are based on sarge, etc. it may make sense to include the version if a distribution is a fork and no longer tracks its source, like mandrake/mandriva which tracked redhat for a while and then stopped and and continued on their own.

the groupings small, minimalist and security related distributions are also not useful for this graph because they say nothing about what these distributions are based on but only describe some feature about them. the descriptions even state in some cases what these distributions are based on. why don't you draw the graph accordingly?

please do more research and then update your graph.
jimf

Apr 14, 2006
10:21 AM EDT
Agree, this is pretty sloppy.
mjjohansen

Apr 15, 2006
6:04 AM EDT
I agree. Also, it is a mind map of a very particular mind - apparently, small distributions are closer to each other than to their origins...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!