Buzz words

Story: VPNs Illustrated: Tunnels, VPNS, and IPsec -- A Book ReviewTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Apr 17, 2006
4:59 PM EDT
Be very careful of the difference between VPN and Tunnel. I have seen otherwise very capable network engineers so abuse VPNs as to make the system nearly impossible to troubleshoot. As far as I'm concerned, VPNs can go piss up a rope.

Management loves buzzwords, but simplicity wins hands-down when it's time for maintenance and troubleshooting. One of the most wonderful things about Linux from my standpoint, a professional network engineer of many years, is that services can be turned OFF. I like Debian and other distributions where, unless you deliberately turn them on, there are no services at all.

I love IPSec tunnels, ssh, forward and reverse proxies. These are the tools of secure access in a world of packet sniffers, script kiddies, NSA snoops and other information Black Hats.

While it is true that no system that can be reached can be 100% secure, it is also relatively easy to make a system hard enough that only the most determined attack or most stupid user can even endanger it. And Thank Cromm, those two are still relatively few and far between.

Bob-

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!