It's safer from the ground up that's why

Story: Why is Linux more secure than Windows?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
peragrin

Apr 18, 2006
11:28 AM EDT
*nix's have already gone though every single major problem with windows. They solved most of those decades ago.

*nix use a more or less safe filesystem/multi user setup. While there are limitations of this system it is the first step of many.

Auto execution of Macro's were deemed unsafe in vi in 1986. They have been considered bad since before MSFT started publishing any version of Word.

How many more things have the *nix dealt with 20 years ago and solved? As the saying goes MSFT has been reinventing Unix Poorly.

PS those images are going on my desktop. Those are friggin cool.
theboomboomcars

Apr 18, 2006
4:13 PM EDT
I really like the simplicity of the appache pictures, I could actually follow the lines. But the windows pictures was cool too, it reminds me of a spider web, I can look at a spiderweb for hours tring to find my way through it.
jimf

Apr 18, 2006
6:04 PM EDT
Would that the windows pic had the elegance of a spiders web.
Rascalson

Apr 19, 2006
2:58 AM EDT
A closer analogy to the pic and windows in general would be a catipillar nest. One of the usual procedures if the nest is somewhere you don't want it is to torch it nice and crispy where it is and then remove it.
number6x

Apr 19, 2006
7:09 AM EDT
I especially find these diagrams interesting because the NT code base that Windows is currently based on is younger than Linux. Not a lot , younger, but a couple of years younger.

If anything the younger NT based systems should have less 'cruft' and confusion than Linux. Linux started in 1991, the same year Windows 3.1 was released. I can't remember what the version of MS/DOS was at the time.

At most, based on the maturity of the code, they should be similar in complexity.

Microsoft has also claimed to have done a 'total re-write' of their code base several times. When I re-write my code, it is usually cleaner and simpler when I'm done. I've never written an OS, but I've worked on some pretty complex financial reporting systems with a few hundred thousand lines of code. I guess they don't mean what I thought they meant.

I really have to wonder about Microsoft's development methods when I see these two charts.

Amazing.
theboomboomcars

Apr 19, 2006
9:09 AM EDT
jimf your right, it's not quite to the elegance of a spiders web, it is probably closer to the huge vine of marygold that over took my garder last year after it died in the fall. Still increably cool to look at, but not elegant.
grouch

Apr 19, 2006
6:20 PM EDT
That is truly dramatic. A designed structure versus a random cobweb. To mix things a bit, it looks like IIS requires lots of duct tape and baling wire to do anything.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!