Suse 10.1, maybe one weak link

Story: Curmudgeon deems SUSE 10.1 "really cool and solid"Total Replies: 5
Author Content
LinuxStuff

Apr 20, 2006
4:04 PM EDT
I have SUSE 9.2, 9.3 & 10.0 running on a variety of hardware, I really enjoy using it, for most items except one. That would be Gnucash, but don't get me wrong, it's a good package, better than Money but it lacks on a few items, support not bad but could be better but the one thing that really hurts it the most, a bug at not importing OFX/QFX files.

Don't get me wrong, before you flame me understand that I use Gnucash, it's just that this bug of not importing OFX/QFX files hits me hard. I have to enter by hand all my bank info, this should not be.

I'm hoping the 10.1 will have a fix for this but I won't hold my breath.

LinuxMan
richo123

Apr 20, 2006
6:02 PM EDT
Try compiling the development version (1.9.5 at present). There are a veritable ton of fixes and a spiffy new frontend as well. 2.0.0 should not be long....
salparadise

Apr 20, 2006
9:42 PM EDT
One mans meat...

I've always found SuSE to be clunky, slow and most prone of all the distros (I've used thus far) to develop faults that turn into show stoppers. I have consistently found this to be the case from SuSE 9.0 to the present. I tried SuSE out in an Office install (SO glad I tested everything beforehand - suffice to say SuSE behaved so badly that the install was cancelled and a different distro chosen).

So, as for me... SuSE is not reliable, not cool and definitely not solid.
dinotrac

Apr 21, 2006
3:07 AM EDT
How many of you are running on AMD64?

I have run nothing but SuSE on my 64 bit box and have been quite pleased.
number6x

Apr 21, 2006
5:58 AM EDT
Suse definitely has the best amd 64 distro.

They have a very active mailing list for amd64 where a lot of the developers stop by to work things out.

In the early days of amd64, the developers would get a lot of feedback from users and work out the bugs using the list. There aren't as many 64-bit specific bugs any more.

Suse has never been a distro for the bleeding edge types. I think their main work goes into the server offering. They try to ensure stability there. Then their desktop seems to be #2 priority. The open suse distro is new for them. That's their version of cutting edge.

I first used SuSE 5.2 and it was my main distro up until about 7.3. I have more debian installs now, but always keep a few SuSE boxes.

Haven't used Red Hat since 4.2, I always hated working out all the dependencies. I'm sure they've gotten better since the late 90's, but between debian and SuSE, I don't see any reason to use Fedora/Red Hat.
herzeleid

Apr 21, 2006
10:35 AM EDT
I've used a lot of unix flavors over the years and a lot of linux distros, from sls to slack, redhat, caldera, mandrake, fedora, debian, ubuntu, and finally settled on suse, finding it the most solid of the distros. Our server rooms are running on suse enterprise 9, though we were doing all our linux stuff on redhat a few years ago.

It may not be the asbolute best distro in every individual category but overall it's a solid choice and I like it for laptops and workstations as well.

Their 64 bit support is solid, and has been for years.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!