umm let's see

Story: Write Free Software, Pay $203,000 to Patent HolderTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
jsusanka

Apr 21, 2006
5:21 AM EDT
the software was originally released in 2001 and the patent was originally filed in 2003 -

maybe my math if off but I think this software beat the patent and we probably should audit KAM and see if the software is using gpl'ed software.

since I am the first poster I just patented all other posts to this article. wuaaaaaagh!
meffie

Apr 21, 2006
5:43 AM EDT
According to US patent law, the patent holder can claim the invention date based on the "reduction to practice", not the filing date. That means the patent holder must have documented evidence of the invention that pre-dates the filing.
jdixon

Apr 21, 2006
6:00 AM EDT
> the patent holder can claim the invention date based on the "reduction to practice"

And it's possible they've done so, but there's no evidence either way in the information we have. In such as case, isn't the patent limited to the time from the "reduction to practice" date, though?
number6x

Apr 21, 2006
6:06 AM EDT
meffie,

Good point.

However a countersuit charging possible copyright and gpl violation may be a good defensive move.

Make people think twice before suing again.
tuxchick2

Apr 21, 2006
10:53 AM EDT
Not only is the patent office broken, so is the US court system. It's a war of attrition- whoever has the most money and determination will prevail.
dcparris

Apr 21, 2006
2:13 PM EDT
Tuxchick, your absolutely correct. I posted an article on Microsoft having to pay out a few million for patent infringement. Not that I am a fan of Microsoft, but they were found guilty of patent infringement even though there was no final judgement on the validity of them. I queried PJ at Groklaw about this, and she calls this sort of situation the "Blackberry Bonk", where blackberry had to pay for patent infringements, even though those patents were later overturned. Talk about a screwball system!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!