Port 110

Story: FOSS Community to Microsoft: Earn Our TrustTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Elwood

Apr 21, 2006
8:17 AM EDT
As I was reading both this article and the previous one I was thinking, "Gee, 'Port 25' sounds like someone who wants to talk but not listen. They should be using Port 110, or at least Port 143 (IMAP)." Nice going, Don!

While history makes me less than optimistic about a true change of heart for Microsoft as an organization (and that would need to start at the top!), I agree completely - I would be a hypocrite not to believe that change is possible - no matter how unlikely!

My company issues me a laptop running Microsoft products. I use Linux by choice, and Microsoft only when absolutely necessary, but I don't hate them - only their behavior.

Over the past several years Microsoft spokesmen (not only Bill & Steve, but others as well) have made overtures to the FOSS community, only to be followed by FUD campaigns and other behaviors you describe - sometimes in the same area as their "friendly" statements, sometimes not.

It is time to change history, but when it comes to Microsoft, I'm from Missouri -- show me you can be trusted, and then we can talk.

E
phubert

Apr 21, 2006
8:35 AM EDT
For these very reasons, whenever I can, I try to promote the message: "Friends don't let friends use Microsoft!"

I've been in computing since 1970, and in those earlier days watched the effects of (1) lack of interface standards and (2) bullying by the never-declared monopolists-of-the-day, IBM.

Changes in the computing paradigm thanks to advances in technology provided IBM the opportunity to 'put their foot in it' resulting in their own retreat and rebuilding while the NEW monopolist (declared!) advanced.

Thanks to my overall experience of the world of computing, it is absolutely clear to me that an OPEN, common-reference (a la Linux) infrastructure is the only logical way toward mutual progress. Anything else is either warring feifdoms or universal slavery. Today, it seems, we are very close to both.
jimf

Apr 21, 2006
9:19 AM EDT
MS is in the same position as was Pres. Linden Johnson. No one believed in his credibility until he refused to run for another term. The answer for MS, just close up shop.
jdixon

Apr 21, 2006
10:23 AM EDT
> "Gee, 'Port 25' sounds like someone who wants to talk but not listen.

Probably my only disagreement with the article. Port 25 is used for receiving email as well as transmitting it. :( MTA's both send and receive mail, after all.

Seriously? Gates and Ballmer would have to go, and new management would have to be brought in from outside the company.
tuxchick2

Apr 21, 2006
2:11 PM EDT
True, an MTA passes mail in both directions, but the lowly end luser must fetch their POP mail via port 110. I like the allusion, it is quite apt.
dcparris

Apr 21, 2006
2:44 PM EDT
Yeah, when end users configure their MUAs they usally configure them to send mail on port 25, and retrieve via port 110. That was my logic. Hopefully, most people will get that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!