Shred Contracts

Story: FOSS Community to Microsoft: Earn Our TrustTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
kozmcrae

Apr 21, 2006
9:03 AM EDT
To earn my trust, Microsoft would need to shred every last one of its contracts with hardware vendors that stipulate pre-loaded Windows. Users should see a rack of computers next to a rack of operating systems when they go to buy a computer. If need be the operating system could be loaded by the store for a small fee.

They don't get credit for this if the Federal Government outlaws pre-loading operating systems.

Richard
jimf

Apr 21, 2006
9:11 AM EDT
Quoting:They don't get credit for this if the Federal Government outlaws pre-loading operating systems.

That would be the only way that MS would shred it's contracts... Don't hold your breath though.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 21, 2006
12:10 PM EDT
As repulsive as I personally find those contracts, the fact is that Microsoft and their vendors entered into voluntary contracts on mutually agreeable terms.

Maybe us, on the outside and with 20/20 hindsight, wouldn't have made those "deals with the devil", but the fact is that by making the OS cheap to some company like Dell, Dell can then charge less and still make their profit margin. Competition with commodity hardware is based on price.

Sure, Linux is still less expensive (free), but buyers have learned to assume that when they buy a new PC that it will run their stupid games. The phrase I've heard is "WallMart took back their Lindows sales because it wouldn't run their daughters Dora game." And it makes lots of sense put that way.

Linux advocates are fighting a well funded and experienced marketing machine, a company whose only function is to "maximize shareholder value" any way they can.

Here's what I would like to see: Side by side "add to shopping cart" buttons, "This system with Windows: $495" and "This system with [flavor] Linux: $445"
Libervis

Apr 21, 2006
1:11 PM EDT
Bob:

Quoting:Here's what I would like to see: Side by side "add to shopping cart" buttons, "This system with Windows: $495" and "This system with [flavor] Linux: $445"

Well, that would at least be reasonable. The problem is that the way they are now, MS wouldn't accept even that and are making deals to ensure that only windows is preinstalled. The recent deal with Lenovo is an example.

So if someone from Microsoft reads this; you just can't do that and expect our trust. It just plain isn't fair.
grouch

Apr 21, 2006
1:34 PM EDT
"As repulsive as I personally find those contracts, the fact is that Microsoft and their vendors entered into voluntary contracts on mutually agreeable terms."

On what planet in what universe?

On this planet, in this universe, vendors were threatened with bankruptcy if they did not agree to MS terms. See various and sundry documents in anti-trust cases (plural). There is, apparently, a very great deal of history through which you slept.

Libervis

Apr 21, 2006
1:48 PM EDT
Heh indeed.. The thing is that even if those deals are made on mutually agreeable terms that isn't infact true for all parties, because there is a third party they fail to consider; the user.

Honest businesses should do things in a way that will at the end of the day benefit their user and then in turn benefit the company as a consequence. Such deals that MS makes completely omit the interests of end users.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!