a two edged sword

Story: Why you shouldn't wait for the perfect open source Windows-apps replacementTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
jimf

Apr 22, 2006
8:55 PM EDT
I have come to believe that the creation of exact or even close duplicates for Windows apps in Linux is a two edged sword. While it may woo more Windows users into the Linux camp it may also be seriously limiting the development of the Linux desktop.

Consider it this way. If we make the assumption that we need 'exact' equivalents of Windows programs, then we are a priori limiting our application, programming, and design options. It assumes that Windows programs are indeed the best possible choice and that may or may not be true in the design of the program, or even program functions.

Windows may have developed programs which are quite effective, but the method by which they became standards is questionable. Often this was not by superior design, but, by sleazy marketing tricks. While using examples of previously designed programs as a design start point is useful, whether those examples should be MS is highly questionable.

Scott_Ruecker

Apr 22, 2006
10:45 PM EDT
The Problem is, Humans do not take well to change. People get used to something and they do not want to have to learn something new unless they absolutely have too. History is replete with examples.

"Why should I have to change if I don't want too?" - "The world should have to change for me."

Yep, that just about covers all of Human History.

Just about, yep. :-)
dinotrac

Apr 23, 2006
2:40 AM EDT
The key, I think, is to balance humility and hubris.

Have the humility to recognize when somebody has done a good job, and/or have beaten you to the punch with something plenty good enough.

In such a case, steal freely.

Recognize that computing patterns are subject to powerful network effects: People use what other people use, what their employer uses, what their local guru suggests, etc.

Getting them to change requires a compelling advantage, something strong enough to overcome familarity and a peer support structure. L

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!