You simply MUST click through!!

Story: When Microsoft-Lovers Bash MicrosoftTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
dinotrac

Apr 23, 2006
7:30 AM EDT
Paul Thurrott's article must be read. This is a Microsoft loving Windows gear-head bashing Vista (and Microsoft along the way) better than 99% of Linux advocates can. There is something to be said for understanding the beast you are beating.

As to SVN's amazement over wiping boxes to the metal, I don't think that's a Windows-only thing. When security matters, best practice has always been to wipe out a rooted box, and reinstall from a verifiably trustworthy source.

It's entirely possible that the whole process is easier and more reliable in Unix land, but I think the advice still holds.

Sort of makes intrusion prevention (ie, the Unix approach) vs intrusion clean-up (the more typical Windows approach) look a lot better, though, don't it?

mvermeer

Apr 23, 2006
11:11 AM EDT
As to SVN's amazement over wiping boxes to the metal, I don't think that's a Windows-only thing. When security matters, best practice has always been to wipe out a rooted box, and reinstall from a verifiably trustworthy source.

Just what I was thinking too... luckily never happened (yet) to me. /me knocking wood.
dinotrac

Apr 23, 2006
11:45 AM EDT
Martin...

Hope it never does happen to you!!

And why would you want to knock my head...unless you're referring to some other source of wood...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!