Let LXer Know How You Feel About GoDaddy's Windows Migration

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
dcparris

Apr 24, 2006
3:38 PM EDT
Many LXer readers have been angered by GoDaddy's recent decision to migrate a whopping number of (mostly unused) domains over to Microsoft Windows servers. As it turns out, it was a Microsoft propaganda ploy. A number of users are angered that GoDaddy went along with the game.

If you're angry, have you already cancelled your webhosting service through GoDaddy, or do you plan to let your contract run out? How does this issue affect your business relationship with GoDaddy?

Thanks, LXer Editorial Team
dinotrac

Apr 24, 2006
4:00 PM EDT
I find it hard to get very worked up.

Of course, I don't use GoDaddy's services, but I'm not sure that would make a lot of difference to me.

If they started screwing around with infrastructure that threatened one of my websites, that would be a different matter. Parked domains? They could put 'em on an old Commodore 64 (or, better yet, a Commodore Pet!!!) for all I care.
tuxchick2

Apr 24, 2006
6:27 PM EDT
Pigs are aloft, for I find I agree with the paleolithic one. Microsoft is really desperate for some good PR to make a big deal out of this.
dinotrac

Apr 24, 2006
6:47 PM EDT
tuxchick --

I just hope you're proud of yourself.

On reading of your agreement, my heart immediately seized, causing me to fall out of my chair, hitting the arm on my way down and knocking out my best teeth.

Fortunately for me, the knife I grazed on the way down, flipping about so that it fell beneath me was small. Impaling myself on its blade resulted in little more than the loss of blood. At least the shock of the fall and the stabbing did re-start my heart.

If only my daughter's schizo little Pomeranian hadn't peed on me while I was down...
sbergman27

Apr 28, 2006
2:39 PM EDT
I'm with Dean. I find it hard to get worked up about it. Though Bruce's new initiative sounds like a nice constructive thing to do. It gives Lighttpd some well deserved recognition, as well.

Instead of getting worked up over the transfer of some parked domains, I am instead quite pleased about this other news, which has not received as much attention:

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2006/04/26/apache_now_the_...

I mean, there are parked domains, personal home pages, and... (drum roll, please) commercial web sites. I wonder which of those the IIS sales staff care most about and have worked hardest to cultivate?
grouch

Apr 28, 2006
6:46 PM EDT
GoDaddy's stunt is just a little red flag popping up to remind us of the ways MS sprinkles its money around to try to buy time and influence. Each time you see any news favorable to Microsoft, remember this and ask where the payola went. It's a legitimate question in each case because of the way they operate. They don't like to compete on merits.

dinotrac: Is the little dog ok?

tuxchick2: I know how you feel. The old so-and-so will probably gloat over this and trot it out to torture us at the most inopportune times.

I kept hoping somebody would call Ferris about the Linspire thread. He'd want to see for himself where dino kinda, sorta, almost, partially agreed with something he started out opposing.

sbergman27: I saw that linked from LWN, I think. The shocker for me was that the line has moved so slowly since the obstacles have moved out of the way. Quality is starting to show, though.
tuxchick2

Apr 28, 2006
7:53 PM EDT
dino, I am proud. Lemme set up the camera and then you can do it all again?
dinotrac

Apr 28, 2006
10:42 PM EDT
grouch -

The dog is ok other than the fact that it still is a yappy little furball with no reason to live.

As to changing my mind....NOOOOOOOOOOO! Didna do it. I merely agreed that, on reflection, some tiny possibility existed that you were not completely wrong. For the record, and without equivocation, qualification, or dozens of other weasel words, I stand 100% behind the possibility that you may have been somewhat right about something at some time.

tuxchick -

Glad you're proud and truly appreciate the high degree of compassion and empathy, but I cannot try to do it again. Residual effects of the injuries and the massive cardiac damage make it difficult to pull myself into the proper position. Maybe after the transplant...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!