Mono-Boot Ubuntu Laptop

Story: Creating a Dual-Boot Windows XP and Ubuntu LaptopTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
r_a_trip

May 09, 2006
7:09 AM EDT
I've created a mono-boot Ubuntu Laptop and it works very well.

Then again I know my way around GNU/Linux and I have been blissfully free of MS Windows since 2001. Windows is an existing evil when I run into it at work or on the machine of my BF.
tuxchick2

May 09, 2006
9:49 AM EDT
haw, mono-boot. Good one. :)
grouch

May 09, 2006
1:28 PM EDT
"Running a Windows-only laptop is hardly ideal for people who do considerable work in the Linux environment."

However, running a GNU/Linux-only laptop is likely ideal for people who do considerable work in the Linux "environment".

Dual-boot (also more appropriately called "duel boot" by some) with anything MS is usually a finicky compromise that some folks have to tolerate. All sorts of aggravation and anxiety just melts away when you cease fighting MS for control of your computer. Linux gives it back to you.
NoDough

May 09, 2006
8:30 PM EDT
Confuciun say: "Man with single boot get blister on foot." :)

I would love to mono-boot my laptop, but my work requires that other OS. :(
grouch

May 09, 2006
9:30 PM EDT
Nodough:

Wouldn't it be nice if requirements were based on tasks instead of brands of tools? That would let the person doing the work, or at least someone in contact with those who do the work, choose the tool that did it best. ('Best' to include vendor lock-in potential, long-term cost including security and downtime, AND ease of use by the person actually doing the work).

I fought an email battle with some 'officials' in my stupid state's government, some years ago. They were specifying Microsoft products for every bid proposal for software. They finally agreed that it was discriminatory and began specifying the tasks that needed to be accomplished by the software. I don't know if they've reverted since then.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!