Carmody or Carmony?

Story: Kevin Carmony: Walking The Line of a Divided CommunityTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
monkymind

May 10, 2006
2:29 AM EDT
I'm definitely not Linspire/Freespire's target audience (and I won't be introducing any of my friends to it either!)

In 1996 after having a confusing time installing Linux for the first time I was disappointed to find my video chipset was not supported by X-windows and after feeling humbled by my unsuccessful attempts to instantly understand the cli ...... Linux was wiped off my HD.

I tried again 18 months later using hardware supported by Linux and though I still struggled with the install, I did get X-windows running. My ultimate reward was finding my computer now ran 24/7, had virtual desktops that could run many programs simultaneously and browsing the internet with "many" widows open (reading and searching while others were loading in the background) made the slow dial up speeds seem bearable.

IMHO Linux is now incredibly easy to install and use (and more importantly remains a powerful, stable and secure OS). Several friends who lost all their data because of some virulent Windows malware are now using Linux without any difficulty. The other advantage for them is they never lose any data or personal settings when I (easily) upgrade their Linux setups.

GNU/Linux developers have contributed to make the best OS they can. Would I (or any Linux user/developer) risk security and stability for drivers by proprietary manufacturer (who don't have the same dedication or commitment to the Linux community) because "current Windows users expect" it?? NO!

FWIW many Windows users who ask me about Linux are really looking for a free version of Windows. Does Linspire really think they can play Pied Piper by throwing in some codec's and binary drivers??
r_a_trip

May 10, 2006
8:02 AM EDT
Hear hear!!!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!