Bah

Story: Novell’s "Newest" Linux Desktop MoveTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
incinerator

May 11, 2006
4:01 AM EDT
That guy's just pissed off because he can't rip off the people by re-issuing his "Novell Linux Desktop 9 Administrator's Handbook" and all his shiny-bling-bling-certificates-are-good-for-nothing Novell-specifc certificates don't go along with the SUSE name (he'probably never heard of LPI, either). He's an old Netware "expert" and probably still doesn't grok GNU/Linux and fears he'll lose out on the boom.
jay_h

May 11, 2006
9:42 AM EDT
I am apparently one of the few people who actually liked Mr Dulaney's books. Nonetheless, I must say he does not have a leg to stand on here.

The Novell Linux Desktop was _NOT_ a new distribution, it just renamed the SuSE Linux Desktop that was issued _BEFORE_ Novell bought SuSE. SLD1.0 was based on SLES8, just as NLD9 was based on SLES9 and now SLED10 will be based on SLES10. I cannot blame Novell for wanting their name on a distribution that they own. I should think that they had been planning to integrate a whole bunch of Novell products into it at that time (Groupwise, Zenworks, iFolder, Mono apps, etc). Somebody decided the change was not the best idea, so now they've put the name back. Wow. Would you like to complain about the capitaization/uncapitalization of the "u", while you're at it?

Then Dulaney complains about the price/support models, comparing the one-box off-the-shelf price to whatever a large corp/org managed to negotiate in their master license agreement with Novell. This is apples vs. oranges, comparing the cost of supporting a home user to the cost of supporting a coporate desktop (with a corporate IT support structure).

As for AppArmor being "secret", well, geez, they're working on that... Novell liked what they saw and _BOUGHT_ the folks who made it. Then they opened the license (don't remember which one they implemented) and they're trying to build a community around it. Gotta give them time, here, you cannot fault them for not supporting this project.

...and as for the previous comment, Dulaney will most certainly re-issue the NLD9 handbook, suitably updated, to cope with SLED10. That is his job, after all. And there's a whole lot of new material to cover now...

--Jay_H

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!