Just have to say.. it's not Ututo-e...

Story: Ututo-e: "The only free distribution" revisitedTotal Replies: 28
Author Content
cjcox

May 11, 2006
10:00 PM EDT
It's not Ututo-e... it's GNU/Ututo-e... but actually it's now GNU is Not Ututo-e... but it is GNU... oh drat...
dinotrac

May 12, 2006
1:05 AM EDT
Show how much attention I pay. I didn't realize that Stallman withheld his precious approval from Debian. I remember leaving Debian when it (and Stallman) had their big QT snit and refused to package KDE.

In those pre-Testing days, I found it far too difficult to keep my machine moderately current AND keep my desktop stable, so I flipped over to SuSE.

Makes me wonder what useful work you can possibly do (and keep doing without fear of disruption) in a distro that Stallman would bless.
sbergman27

May 12, 2006
5:04 AM EDT
My understanding is that Debian makes available their Non-Free repository, and that's why Debian is not blessed. Simply marking the repository as "Pariah" is not good enough. Debian is in the same class as the rest of us unwashed masses giving up our freedom for a Twinkie.
NoDough

May 12, 2006
5:21 AM EDT
>"Debian is in the same class as the rest of us unwashed masses giving up our freedom for a Twinkie."

Mmmmmmmm, twinkie.
sbergman27

May 12, 2006
6:20 AM EDT
> Mmmmmmmm, twinkie.

Kinda funny coming from someone with a handle of NoDough. :-)
dinotrac

May 12, 2006
6:31 AM EDT
Still -

It's hardly a controversial position...

Mmmmmmmmmm, twinkie.
sbergman27

May 12, 2006
6:45 AM EDT
I see now that I have done a disservice to the health status of my fellow LXer's.

But, somehow "giving up our freedom for a slice of 100% whole wheat bread" didn't have the same ring to it.

-Steve
grouch

May 12, 2006
9:10 AM EDT
Qt was non-free. Qt is now free. Looks like the "snit" did some good.
jimf

May 12, 2006
9:20 AM EDT
Even GPL advocates have vices, it's only human!

A person with no vices... well that is a 'really' disturbing thought.

One wonder about Stallman?

Mmmmmmmmmm, twinkie....
number6x

May 12, 2006
9:25 AM EDT
Swank Frank just re-opened after remodelling.

Corner of North and Milwaukee.

Great dogs, but they specialize in deep fried twinkies.

Mmmmmm, deep fried twinkies
tuxchick2

May 12, 2006
9:26 AM EDT
Come on, you guys. If you're going to sell your souls, at least hold out for a decent price. Like a glass of chocolate milk to wash down that Twinkie.
dinotrac

May 12, 2006
9:36 AM EDT
tuxchick --

NOW you're talking.

Wonder how that twinkie would tast with cheese...
tuxchick2

May 12, 2006
9:53 AM EDT
Depends on the cheese. You must have spray cheese or Velveeta, because using real cheese would like totally violate the spirit of using Twinkies in the first place.
jimf

May 12, 2006
9:54 AM EDT
I now have this persistent vision. ... A Pavaratzi photo of Stallman hunched over, white filling on his beard, scarfing down a twinkie.... Arrrg... Thanks guys :D
sbergman27

May 12, 2006
11:05 AM EDT
OK. I can see that much damage had already been done before my post. So the next one of you who drops dead? Don't blame me.
helios

May 12, 2006
7:11 PM EDT
Naw...it's the rivers of chloresterol that keeps me alive.

They did a chloresterol test on my last week.

They found bacon.

And TC...that's not just chocolate milk, its the Hersheys cookies-n-creme chocolate milk they sell in 7-11, right next to the frapaccino stuff. Has the consistancy and texture of cold paint. Isle is well marked with health warnings and 911 bracelets for sale at the end of each isle.
sbergman27

May 13, 2006
4:37 AM EDT
OK. I've tried. So after everyone here is dead (except for Helios, apparently) who's gonna advocate Linux? Or should we be campaigning for the inclusion of Ouija boards at corporate IT meetings?
dinotrac

May 13, 2006
4:42 AM EDT
Steve -

(wheeze -- hold on, gotta recover from the effort of typing your name) (wheeze -- hold on, gotta recover from the effort of typing the parenthetical) (wheeze -- hold on, gotta...oh, never mind)

Fear not. For every old fart such as yours truly dropping into the eternal goo, a young puff of gas rises up to make the fearsome penguin battle cry:

"grep this, A**hole!"
sbergman27

May 13, 2006
4:51 AM EDT
Dean! You're alive!

> Fear not. For every old fart such as yours truly dropping into the eternal goo, a young puff of gas rises up to make the fearsome penguin battle cry

That was just, like, so beautiful, man. It made me cry.

-Steve

P.S. That eternal goo wouldn't happen to be Helios' chocolate milk would it? It sounds kinda the same.
tuxchick2

May 13, 2006
7:38 AM EDT
I think if you avoid Helios' chocolate milk, which has physicists debating if it's a liquid or a solid, those gas problems will disappear.
sbergman27

May 13, 2006
9:15 AM EDT
No mystery there, Tuxchick. It's either a suspension or an amorphous solid. Probably a suspension. Amorphous solids are really just extremely viscous liquids, like glass. But let's really put it to the test, shall we?

"Mmmmmmmmm, Amorphous Solid!"

Doesn't quite work, does it?

"Mmmmmmmmm, Suspension!"

Better, don't you think? :-)
dinotrac

May 13, 2006
10:08 AM EDT
Carla, Steve ---

Please step away from all sharp objects.

Now, put on those nice white coats with the long, long sleeves.

BUt, most important of all...

S T O P !!!!!! While there's still time, just stop.
sbergman27

May 13, 2006
10:17 AM EDT
As usual, Dean, your advice is good. I'm calling the "Linux Activist Insanity Hotline" now.
dinotrac

May 13, 2006
10:22 AM EDT
Steve -

Excellent, but no sudden moves...
tuxchick2

May 13, 2006
10:30 AM EDT
Is the "Linux Activist Insanity Hotline" one of those names where you have to think about the meaning, like "headache pill"?
dinotrac

May 13, 2006
10:32 AM EDT
Carla ---

Over there in the little paper cup...

A couple of yummy little candies. Quick now, gobble them down.
sbergman27

May 13, 2006
10:43 AM EDT
Mmmmmmmm, yummy little candies!

The insanity guys haven't shown up yet, so I figured I may as well post.
NoDough

May 15, 2006
7:23 AM EDT
I read this entire thread and gained three pounds. :-o
grouch

May 15, 2006
12:52 PM EDT
Frogs don't eat peanut butter.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!