Gimme s'mo'

Story: The fuss over kernel designTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
grouch

May 14, 2006
12:27 AM EDT
>"however - what many "free software" people have NOT grasped is, exactly as you point out, that with the ABILITY to program - and understand the "source code" of "free software" - comes a significant responsibility: a duty to serve other people - the users of that "free software"."

Maybe it's because I read the thing, and the comment by the author (quoted above) following the article, at a weird, wee hour, but I just don't get it. Giving creates a duty to give more? Is the flip-side also true; taking creates a duty to take more?

Bwahaha! Now I understand why there is a CREDITS file in the Linux source. I can contact each and every one of them to remind them of their duty to serve ME forever! Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme s'mo'!

Hey, author. I don't know you and if I owe you anything, it's a hard way to go. I've given out some bash scripts and php and even helped with a compiled thingy or two. If you happened to stumble on one of them and used it, I still don't owe you jack. Those who have given so much more (you concentrated on the Linux developers, but there's a world of generous free software developers out there) owe you even less.

Read some free software licenses sometime. Your greed doesn't trump license, morality nor logic.
Bob_Robertson

May 14, 2006
11:14 AM EDT
" Is the flip-side also true; taking creates a duty to take more?"

Ask anyone who lives in a country with a progressive income tax. Or rather, ask their tax-collector, and they'll shout "Hoorah!"
dinotrac

May 14, 2006
12:55 PM EDT
Bob --

>Ask anyone who lives in a country with a progressive income tax.

Heh, heh.

And politicians complaining that they can't take more!!!

BTW -- did you see the reports that April's Federal Government tax revenue was the second highest level in history?

Must be too much economic activity. Better raise those taxes and shut it down.
Bob_Robertson

May 14, 2006
2:00 PM EDT
It wasn't me who said, "The power to tax is the power to destroy", nor "There are the costs that are seen, and the costs that are unseen."

The missed opportunities from having that tax taken in the first place do indeed devastate economic prosperity.
NoDough

May 15, 2006
9:13 AM EDT
Hey, I like this thread. I demand you gimme s'mo' :-)
Bob_Robertson

May 15, 2006
10:32 AM EDT
http://www.mises.org/ will fill you to the brim, NoDough.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!