Excellent article

Story: From Freeloader to Free Software AdvocateTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
wind0wsr3fund

May 15, 2006
10:18 AM EDT
Glad you've decided to take the higher road. Hopefully, others will join you.
grouch

May 15, 2006
2:08 PM EDT
Note the author followed a path that is fairly typical: He tried free software for the practical advantages, including relief from the monopoly's software, then began to learn of the advantages built into the philosophy behind free software.

The expenses, draconian EULAs, harsh treatment of "consumers", including deceptive marketing and granting surreptitious control over "consumers'" computers to 3rd parties, and general quality of code provide the sticks that drive people away from Microsoft.

The costs, restoration of control of one's computer, quality of software, permission to adapt the software, encouragement of sharing to assist others (original code, adaptations, advancements, analysis, and participation in its development) and the shared, common interest of individuals in the verification of such things as voting, medical records, education and finances, are the carrots which bring people to free software.

Sometimes people see only one stick or carrot at a time. They generally transition to "advocate" when they get a glimpse of many at once. (The above is not an exhaustive list).

Mr. Parris's excellent story of his transition is typical in outline for such tales and distinguished by the personal details which are never typical.
dinotrac

May 15, 2006
2:42 PM EDT
Grouch -

By Jove, I think you 've got it!

Implicit in the Rev's story is a powerful argument against free software puritanism. We may prefer and work towards the day when all software is free...but how do you get there? By strolling down the street in a hair shirt with a sign proclaiming "The End is Near?", or with an inviting message that draws the seekers in and lets them see the light?

Once the light is seen, who knows where it may shine?

grouch

May 15, 2006
4:20 PM EDT
dinotrac: >"By Jove, I think you 've got it!"

You old toad-torturer. I "got it" (that part, anyway) years ago.

Ethics don't spring from vapor. "Right" conduct is defined by the effects of the conduct on all. You can't very well force people to be ethical (sometimes, not even with court orders or a leather strop). You can instruct them about the consequences of unethical behavior and the benefits of ethical behavior, and hope they choose ethical.

A lot of individuals and businesses experience the effects of unethical software. The Microsoft monopoly is the poster child for those effects. The damages to technological advancement, global markets, public trust in public data, and individuals (see Mr. Parris's article) is a direct result of unethical software. It is unethical because of the control it exerts over its victims.

I'm not sure what you mean by "free software puritanism", unless perhaps you refer to extremists who want to punish others for not choosing free software. That would be an unethical exertion of control, too.

I know you're well aware of the limits and responsibilities of freedoms; you speak out about them. Is the "puritanism" referring to those who would impose free software where there is no justification?

Consider Stallman's recent protest against ATI http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/59859/index.html , with the big sign, "Don't buy from ATI enemy of your freedom". (You commented favorably on that mild protest, IIRC). He did not attempt to rudely disrupt the speaker (the organizer's assistant's fears and resulting actions disrupted the speaker). He didn't spit on the speaker or dump garbage in front of ATI corporate headquarters. He presented a message that people could choose to ignore or choose to investigate.

You and I butt heads sometimes, but it's usually over points of view of facts. At the base, I think we each have a solid conviction that the lure of the benefits of freedom (in software and elsewhere) are enough to spur people to fight for it if they learn about it.
dcparris

May 15, 2006
4:32 PM EDT
> Implicit in the Rev's story is a powerful argument against free software puritanism.

I disagree. My story is not an argument against Free Software puritanism, but rather an argument for moving towards puritanism, even if gradually. I have not seen anyone, Grouch included, suggest that everyone ought to simply format their HDDs and load the GNU/Linux on a business card distributed by the FSF. Not that I dislike that approach, but it's not sensible. It *is* o.k., IMNSHO, for one to migrate slowly, as the situation dictates. However, I do advocate moving toward a completely free system.

> We may prefer and work towards the day when all software is free...but how do you get there?

I prefer to set an example of doing without (or at least with as little as possible) non-free software. For example, it makes sense for many businesses to use MyBooks, which is non-free, until GnuCash offers most or all of the same functionality. It's true we should probably use the positive encouragement, rather than the negative. That doesn't mean we should not teach people that freedom is the goal.

I am not a legalist advocating a FOSS "circumcision" for all "true believers", but rather advocating the necessity of discovering & teaching that freedom is indeed the goal. :-)
dinotrac

May 15, 2006
4:34 PM EDT
grouch:

>I'm not sure what you mean by "free software puritanism", unless perhaps you refer to extremists who want to punish others for not choosing free software. That would be an unethical exertion of control, too.

I think that's about right, perhaps with a little pinch of "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar". I probably don't use the term, er, purely enough. I tend to throw in a few of the "holier than thou" crowd as well. Strictly speaking, they don't necessarily fit.

WRT to Stallman's ATI protest, yes I did. In one sense, it bordered on dumb stunt, but it was a fairly classy essence of American free speech kind of dumb stunt. It fully and completely respected the rights of the people putting on the presentation while firmly asserting Stallman's (and our) own rights. All in all, not a bad deal.

WRT to freedom --- Yup.

grouch

May 15, 2006
4:51 PM EDT
dcparris: >"I am not a legalist advocating a FOSS "circumcision" for all "true believers", but rather advocating the necessity of discovering & teaching that freedom is indeed the goal. :-)"

Ouch! I'll bet I'm not the only one who winced at reading that.
dcparris

May 15, 2006
5:02 PM EDT
I probably should have avoided that analogy. If anyone doesn't "Get it", I'll explain it in private. Still, I can see someone objecting to the general approach.
grouch

May 15, 2006
5:49 PM EDT
dcparris:

Oh, ok. So I can remove the steel cup now?
dinotrac

May 15, 2006
6:36 PM EDT
grouch -

I think you can relax. The Rev seems firmer in his convictions than in his incisions.
grouch

May 15, 2006
6:58 PM EDT
dinotrac:

I dunno. Those former marines can be pretty incisive. I've seen 'em on tv. He could revert to basic training without warning.

dcparris

May 15, 2006
7:00 PM EDT
Now that I think about it, it really isn't even a very apt description. It just seems that some seem to think that's what the "purists" are calling for. A more accurate presentation of my position might be:

I don't believe we should give people the choice of FOSS or the sword. We should, instead, seek to win their hearts and minds. ;-)
dinotrac

May 15, 2006
7:07 PM EDT
Oh Rev -- you're such a smooth talker!

PS --

I keep forgetting the former marine part.

You may have missed an impressive calling as a Catholic priest:

"Hail Maries my tailfeathers, you little maggot. Get down and give 40! Now! Now!"

Of course, it could just be that I need to up my meds.
jdixon

May 15, 2006
7:19 PM EDT
> I don't believe we should give people the choice of FOSS or the sword. We should, instead, seek to win their hearts and minds.

You know, comparing Microsoft's faithful to radical Islam and Ballmer and company to the radical Islamic clerics works a lot better than I'd like it to.
dinotrac

May 15, 2006
7:53 PM EDT
jdixon --

Yikes!!!

Better stay away from Flight Simulator users....
grouch

May 15, 2006
7:54 PM EDT
dcparris: >"I don't believe we should give people the choice of FOSS or the sword. We should, instead, seek to win their hearts and minds. ;-)"

But but the way to the hearts and minds is quicker with the sword. Less talk; more meat!

jdixon: >"You know, comparing Microsoft's faithful to radical Islam and Ballmer and company to the radical Islamic clerics works a lot better than I'd like it to."

LOL! I could've lived the rest of my life without the image of Ballmer in a turban, leading a horde of screaming chair-throwers.

I don't claim to be any kind of scholar of Islam, but I think it's safe to say some of Ballmer's public statements and deeds would be frowned upon in most Mosques.
Scott_Ruecker

May 15, 2006
10:01 PM EDT
Personally I think I "get it". :-)

I believe that we should move, slowly toward a completely free software enviroment. It's the only logical thing to do.

The problem with proprietary software is that eventually its existence, in any form will be dangerous. Quite literally.

If their is one thing that humans do more than anything else, it's communicate with each other. Homo Sapiens stands for "man who talks". Not "man who thinks". Which would be nice but I think its going to be a while on that one. :-)

It is in our nature to want to talk to each other. Free software feeds this need to know that we can and will be able to see and hear and say what we want to say, whenever and to whoever we want to say it too. I will tell you quite honestly that knowing that I am in control of my computer and that I can use it for what I want and when I want brings me no small amount of joy.

That may be small minded of me but at least its the truth as I know it. I believe that the ability for us, all of us, to communicate with each other freely is central to us as Humans. To think otherwise is to deny the Truth.

dcparris

May 16, 2006
5:22 AM EDT
> You may have missed an impressive calling as a Catholic priest:

LOL! You're probably right. It's funny, I still hang my shirts and pants properly, although I gave up on the two finger-spaces between each hanger. Maybe I'm starting to re-civilianize after 15 years of the civvy life. ;-) I've always been fairly militant in my views, for better or for worse.

Scott: I'd say you got it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!