Trust? Microsoft? Riiiight.

Story: When Will Microsoft Be 'Trusted'?Total Replies: 1
Author Content
grouch

May 15, 2006
8:50 PM EDT
Pigs don't fly voluntarily.

That article was as short a rendition of "There'll be pie in the sky, by and by" as I've read. It is simply a short check-list of what MS says Vista *will be*, kinda reminiscent of what they were saying "Chicago" would be, back when OS/2 was selling. When it finally shipped, W95 was mostly the decorations around the hype, with most of the promises quietly filed away.

So Microsoft promises, in vaporous Vista, to finally deliver a somewhat sensible permissions structure that UNIX and Unixes have been delivering for 30 years. Has Microsoft ever failed to deliver?

What the article leaves out is considerable, such as the tremendous expense for new hardware that Vista will require, and the tremendous expense for new training that Vista will require. I also didn't see anything in there about Microsoft's Digital Restrictions Mania.

See "Microsoft Sells Out the Public on CGMS-A" at http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/003807.php and "Microsoft abandons its customers AND copyright to kiss up to Hollywood" at http://www.boingboing.net/2005/08/30/microsoft_abandons_i.ht...

The worst part of this PC rag article is the fact that it assists in the deception about the word "trust". When Microsoft speaks of "trusted computing" it refers to providing a way for Microsoft's partners to trust the computer to DISTRUST YOU, the user. Microsoft means to assure Hollywood that they will be able to deny you the use of your computer, your software and your data as they see fit. It's not "trusted computing"; it's treacherous computing. Microsoft and special interests want you to pay them for their betrayal.

salparadise

May 15, 2006
9:23 PM EDT
Microsoft mean what they say - trusted computing. Meaning that corporations can trust Microsoft to provide them with a captive, compliant, dumbed-down, easily led audience from which to leech money ad infinitum.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!