advocacy

Story: From Freeloader to Free Software AdvocateTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
phubert

May 16, 2006
8:00 AM EDT
Whenever a new election year comes around, I look for opportunities to lobby for FOSS in government.

The latest opportunity arose in the California governor's race with the open forum provided by the Steve Westley for governor campaign.

The site is: http://rallyca.com/

I don't believe either of the other 2 major candidates provides a similar opportunity.

I have no -political- stake in any of the candidates. And, I cannot say that the candidate, himself, is in any way swayed by what is posted in these forums.

Also, there is presently no topic directly addressing either IT or FOSS.

Still, I'd very much appreciate it if FOSS-literate individuals, especially those residing IN California would consider looking into the Westley forums and submitting "Government IT Revival" posts.

If California were to join the 11 state collaborative development initiative led by Massachusetts, I think we could see -considerable- advancement for FOSS at all levels of government and education.

Think about it. I fully understand why some or even many people have soured on attempts to interest or convince public and elected officials on the value of Linux/OSS, but this open forum seems fairly unique to me and could become a real opportunity for advancement.

I never give up hope...

Another California statewide candidate who has, as a legislator, shown some interest in government IT (though perhaps not FOSS), is Debra Bowen...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!