The Naked Truth About "Naked PCs"

Story: LXer Feature: Early results of the (Dutch) Windows refund surveyTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
henke54

May 17, 2006
10:24 AM EDT
" The term naked PC is used by Microsoft Corporation to refer to a personal computer that is sold without any operating system preinstalled on the hard disk drive (HDD).

Misleading Terminology

The term was coined for its dramatic value and as a means for creating the impression that it is evil to sell computers without operating systems because they might be used for so-called software piracy (i.e., copying or using software in violation of its license). This is due to the fact that the word naked implies both that something is missing and that it is an inappropriate or immoral condition. " http://www.bellevuelinux.org/naked_pc.html
dinotrac

May 17, 2006
11:36 AM EDT
>This is due to the fact that the word naked implies both that something is missing and that it is an inappropriate or immoral condition.

Gosh, I thought it meant the PCs were ready to party.
grouch

May 17, 2006
12:11 PM EDT
dinotrac:

Please turn your webcam off now. You're scaring the pets.
jimf

May 17, 2006
12:23 PM EDT
grouch,

Why are you letting your poor pets watch dino's webcam in the first place? Shame on you both!
grouch

May 17, 2006
2:02 PM EDT
jimf:

Caught. I confess I have used cruel and unusal training methods on my pets. (I fear one poor dog will be constipated for life).
dinotrac

May 17, 2006
2:21 PM EDT
grouch:

You don't happen to have one of those weiner dogs, do you?
grouch

May 17, 2006
2:30 PM EDT
dinotrac:

1 lab and 2 mutants. They all seem to be brain damaged for some reason.
dinotrac

May 17, 2006
3:22 PM EDT
grouch:

So, you say you've got a lab for making mutants?

Sweet.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!