Hmph! Crazy Slackers

Story: Slackware - from first boot to usable desktop.Total Replies: 2
Author Content
grouch

May 19, 2006
10:18 PM EDT
>' There's a saying, "use Debian - learn Debian - use Slackware - learn Linux".'

There's an older saying: "Slackware -- not so much a distribution as a snapshot of somebody's hard drive." Things have changed a lot since that was coined. I'll always have a soft spot (heart? head?) for Slackware. It was the first distribution I managed to get to boot and I stayed with it until the version jump to 7. (Volkerding explained the necessity of that jump; it wasn't the reason I moved off Slackware. I just wanted to look around).

>"Change the 3 to a 4. This changes the default run level from 3 to 4 and means that X will start automatically when you next boot."

I disagree with this. A misconfigured X can cause a newbie to panic. Having to type 'startx' for a while will just seem quaint to them but gives them less terror when they get bold enough to fiddle with the configuration for X.

salparadise

May 20, 2006
12:03 AM EDT
Quoting: I disagree with this. A misconfigured X can cause a newbie to panic. Having to type 'startx' for a while will just seem quaint to them but gives them less terror when they get bold enough to fiddle with the configuration for X.

Agreed. I was using this method for a while until a serious slackware user saw me doing it and I got told off for having bad habits and was shown how to edit inittab. As long as xorgconfig is used correctly, setting inittab to runlevel 4 is quite safe. The statement "as long as xorgconfig is used correctly" is the troublesome bit. You are probably right to urge caution on this one.
salparadise

May 20, 2006
12:22 AM EDT
I added a section to the end pointing out your observation.

Thanks.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!