Should Microsoft support OpenDocument? NO!

Story: Linux News Discredits Heartland Institute's OpenDocument ReportTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
luvr

May 21, 2006
4:14 AM EDT
I disagree with the idea that Microsoft should support the OpenDocument format. In fact, I wouldn't want them to go anywhere NEAR OpenDocument. The only reason why they would ever want to do that, is to SUBVERT it. Haven't they screwed up far too many standards already?
salparadise

May 21, 2006
5:02 AM EDT
Yes. Embrace the standard then bolt a load of MS-exclusive rubbish onto it so that it purposely doesn't work on anything except M
salparadise

May 21, 2006
5:06 AM EDT
Yes. Embrace the standard, then bolt a load of MS-exclusive rubbish onto it so that it purposely doesn't work on anything except MS products. Then delay and delay and delay any resultant court action until the injured party goes bankrupt. Then claim the standard as a Microsoft innovation and sue the ass off anyone who tries to use it for themselves and smear anyone who tries to remind the world what the origin of the standard was.

Am I being too harsh here?
dinotrac

May 21, 2006
5:56 AM EDT
>Am I being too harsh here?

Not harsh so much as confused.

Microsoft can do whatever they wish with their IMPLEMENTATION of the standard, but they can't hijack the standard itself.

In the new computing climate -- where competition refuses to go away and governments pay close attention (other than the US federal government, that is), Microsoft takes a bigger risk with a broken implementation than with a good one.

As to suing anybody, even Microsoft needs a cause of action.
dcparris

May 21, 2006
8:48 AM EDT
Dino, I have to agree with you on this one. They can embrace and extend, as usual. But they have no means by which to hi-jack the standard completely. Consider that they have been using the Berkely TCP/IP stack - and it still works. Active Directory is a good example of embrace and extend. It's based on LDAP, but is a non-free implementation of it. Still, all of us have access to LDAP.

dinotrac

May 21, 2006
10:41 AM EDT
>Dino, I have to agree with you on this one.

You're learning, Rev, you're learning. ;0)

Seriously, though, we've got to be careful lest our fear becomes paranoia becomes paralysis. The very nature of open standards is that anyone, even Microsoft, is free to use them.

That's a good thing, not bad.

jimf

May 21, 2006
1:08 PM EDT
Lets understand that standards groups are nothing new. Most critical components have to adhere to a standard and it's high time we had a reliable and consistent, and 'open' document format. Having MS sign on to the OpenDocument format, even as a ploy, puts them in a very tenuous position, and, as open source becomes more recognized and accepted, it will be a lot harder for MS to spin the situation.

It's one thing for them to play with the standard now, but if they start actually trying to sell a proprietary format to government and business, while still saying they are OpenDocument format compatible, they may be in a world of hurt, as they've given everyone a real reason to sue and ostracize MS. It may even be that MS actually does see the writing on the wall, but is just giving it one last spin... After all, it's in their nature.
jsusanka

May 22, 2006
3:13 AM EDT
I totally agree - they will embrace and the add their own cruft to it so their saved documents won't work in any other word processor.

so I hope they don't go near it - just one more reason to get people off their crappy office product. not that there are tons of reasons already.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!