This Article is Horrible

Story: Ubuntu Linux, Dapper Drake Flight 7 - How Linux is getting very ...Total Replies: 19
Author Content
devnet

May 22, 2006
5:37 AM EDT
This article was a bunch of nonsense. It had no purpose and told us nothing new about Ubuntu. The synopsis is designed to make the reader think that there is a direct comparison to Vista with Ubuntu. This isn't so...the write only remarks that he has tried Vista and it didn't recognize his sound card...which is in the final paragraph as well.

The article is also just another "Wow, I tried Linux, it installed in 30 minutes and then I used _firefox_ and _thunderbird_ and _openoffice_." Absolutely silly how carbon copy these "reviews" (and I use that term lightly) are being stamped out.

All in all, one of the worst pieces of "news" I have read all year long...mainly by offering nothing in the form of new information, unique information, or quirky, intelligent writing.
grouch

May 22, 2006
6:11 AM EDT
devnet: >"The synopsis is designed to make the reader think that there is a direct comparison to Vista with Ubuntu. This isn't so...the write only remarks that he has tried Vista and it didn't recognize his sound card...which is in the final paragraph as well."

Um, no. The synopsis was not designed at all. It was extracted from the writer's last paragraph because it seemed to me to sum up that writer's feelings. As for Vista, the writer noted more problems than just his sound card.

The article gives a reasonably detailed account by a MS Windows user who says he has not tried Linux in 2 years. He invited, and received, commentary "to put [him] on the right path".

You might have missed this by the writer:

"I only played with Ubuntu for about 6 hours today, then moved back, so I openly admit that it's not a fair test. "

It is not the typical paid journalist's 30 minute pre-determined failure. It is a declared MS Windows user's detailed impressions of a beta of Ubuntu during a short-term installation and usage.

If he's that impressed, without research, without checking hardware, with that little experience installing Linux, just think what would happen with non-beta, professionally installed OEM boxes sitting on store shelves.

Kinda puts the lie to all the FUD pieces claiming Linux is not ready, doesn't it?

Glad you liked it.
devnet

May 22, 2006
9:36 AM EDT
Thought it was horrible. Still think it is horrible. On a newsworthy scale, I give it two thumbs a forefinger and a middle finger down.

>As for Vista, the writer noted more problems than just his sound card.

Yes, I these things I know...I read the article.

>It is not the typical paid journalist's 30 minute pre-determined failure

This wasn't a typical journalist so I wouldn't expect it to be. However, he cookie cuttered the whole spiel right out of a blog entry and offered nothing that hasn't been said before.

This guy tried Linux in the past and uses a Mac...he's a bit more savvy than a standard journalist. Not to mention that he was able to install the madwifi drivers on Ubuntu...this feat alone sets him apart from a standard journalist. He's not afraid of the shell to say the least:http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=36800

So, I'd say this is either a Linux fan with some experience wearing a journalist hat saying "look, I don't have much experience" (yet he does)....or this is just crap journalism.

I say both.
grouch

May 22, 2006
10:06 AM EDT
devnet: >"Yes, I these things I know...I read the article. "

Oh? Then why did you post: >"...the write only remarks that he has tried Vista and it didn't recognize his sound card..."

>"However, he cookie cuttered the whole spiel right out of a blog entry and offered nothing that hasn't been said before. "

Perhaps you missed the big letters at the top: "a blog". Gee. Think being a blog might be one reason why it resembles a blog to you?

What am I supposed to be looking at on http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=36800 ?

>"So, I'd say this is either a Linux fan with some experience wearing a journalist hat saying "look, I don't have much experience" (yet he does)....or this is just crap journalism."

Or maybe... It's a blog entry by someone who wrote of his experience, asked for comments "to put [him] on the right path", received such comments, and was appreciative.

I'm just glad you didn't show up to sour his entire experience.
dcparris

May 22, 2006
3:44 PM EDT
I can understand Devnet's point that this kind of story has been re-hashed so often that it's hardly funny. On the other hand, there are still people who would just be reading this for the first time. We have to be aware of that, and patient with these kinds of articles.
devnet

May 23, 2006
8:25 AM EDT
grouch,

You are a snide one aren't you? I attack an article that I feel is silly and you defend it like it is your own. Very odd. Do you own stock in this guys company?

"Oh? Then why did you post: >"...the write only remarks that he has tried Vista and it didn't recognize his sound card..."" My bad...I left out his ethernet adapter and graphics card. Sue me.

"What am I supposed to be looking at on [HYPERLINK@www.ubuntuforums.org] ?"

Well, that's how this guy "installed the madwifi driver". This is the process involved in getting his Atheros chipset to work...which he did. Thus I concluded he's no slouch with Linux because not many new to Linux would be able to swing this.

"Or maybe... It's a blog entry by someone who wrote of his experience, asked for comments "to put [him] on the right path", received such comments, and was appreciative.

I'm just glad you didn't show up to sour his entire experience."

Could be couldn't it? But when you put yourself out there you open yourself up to both sides of the fence don't you? So, if I don't like it, I can express that opinion and point out why I don't like it.

I doubt very much my comments would have soured his experience. You on the other hand do well to sour my Lxer experience with your crass comments and snide tone.

If you think this "So all in all the Ubuntu beta is ahead of Vista right now. I'm excited to see where both of these systems go in the next year. Since I didn't play with it for very long I may have missed a few items, and if you're an Ubuntu expert please feel free to put me on the right path in our comments."

is a synopsis for this article and the editors let it fly...god help the editors of Lxer. A better choice might have been:

"I will say that I was very impressed overall and once the driver support is as vast as Windows or Mac OS X, then it will be a very, very, very amazing platform. Microsoft should be worried, there are a lot of things that Ubuntu is doing a lot better than Windows. It is my hope that within the next year or two the Linux community will find an amazing new way to support hardware and install software packages. Once this happens the flood gates will open, and Linux will crush everything in its path."

Of course, who the hell am I and how Dare I call into question an article you posted right?
dinotrac

May 23, 2006
9:16 AM EDT
Good grief!!

I'm beginning to think if this site were limited to those articles gathering universal acclaim, they'd have to change the name to "Nuller."
jimf

May 23, 2006
9:27 AM EDT
dino,

The world has become a place where there is nothing you can say, no matter how well meaning or benign, that won't offend someone. Sorry if i offended anyone... Well, not really.
tuxchick2

May 23, 2006
9:36 AM EDT
jimf, that is soooo offensive I'm crying my eyes out. No Lindor chocolates for you.
jimf

May 23, 2006
9:41 AM EDT
That's ok tuxchick, I already have my stash.
dinotrac

May 23, 2006
9:55 AM EDT
jimf -

Shame on you for disturbing our dear little tuxchick.

That's my job, you #$%@!!!!.

No offense.
grouch

May 23, 2006
10:30 AM EDT
devnet:

You make my case for me very well.

Mr. Higginbotham remarked in the comments following his blog entry:

"I am AMAZED at ow helpful this community is. I always thought of Linux users as snobby elitists who would only help if you spoke their language without fail. I must say, I was horribly wrong and very surprised. Thank you all for your ideas, I'll work on as many of them as fast as I can. This will be fun!"

Re-read your remarks and tell me which side you fall on. Are you amazingly helpful or a snobby elitist?
jdixon

May 23, 2006
11:51 AM EDT
Grouch:

While you are correct that if devnet's comments had been made directly to the author they would have been counter productive, they weren't. They were made here, and solely as commentary on the usefulness of the article.

Simply put, you acting as if devnet made the comments to Mr. Higginbotham's face rather than as a review of the article for the LXer readership. The two aren't the same thing, and shouldn't be treated as if they are.

Since it is possible that the comments could make it back to Mr. Higginbotham, hopefully he is capable of recognizing the difference.

That said, I don't agree that the article is as bad as devnet seems to think.
grouch

May 23, 2006
12:46 PM EDT
jdixon: >"Simply put, you acting as if devnet made the comments to Mr. Higginbotham's face rather than as a review of the article for the LXer readership. The two aren't the same thing, and shouldn't be treated as if they are."

You're right.
devnet

May 23, 2006
12:47 PM EDT
jdixon,

I just get tired of the same ol same ol. Every single post on installing linux is the same.

Wow! Look, I instlalled it and it was EASY! WooT! And look, I've got Firefox, and Thunderbird, and Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

It seems the same old apps and same old distros are rehashed hundreds of times over and nothing new is ever experienced. Therefore, I expressed myself accordingly.

If Mr. Higginbotham takes anything from this thread of comments, hopefully it will be a desire to not be run of the mill with his blog entries. I am glad he gave it the old college try.

@grouch BTW, no one has ever accused me of being an elitist nor described me as such...not in 10+ years of Open Source Software development. Hopefully, you'll find out a bit more about me before saddling me with that label. I'll be happy to provide you with examples of my work and links to sites/companies I'm affiliated with.

I think I'm pretty safe as far as what side I fall on...if I had been in a forum sneering at what some user said a thread (hint hint)...I might consider myself in danger of this. However, making a comment about a blog entry at a site devoted to news and opinion on Linux and Open Source Software isn't my idea of being an elitist.
grouch

May 23, 2006
1:23 PM EDT
devnet: >"Hopefully, you'll find out a bit more about me before saddling me with that label."

I did not saddle you with anything.
dinotrac

May 23, 2006
1:40 PM EDT
grouch:

Down, boy.

The pissing match claxon is sounding and the floors have just been cleaned.
grouch

May 24, 2006
12:35 AM EDT
Thanks dinotrac.

You and jdixon have successfully hammered into my hard head that disagreement with what is posted on LXer or the posted article's structure, style or its author is not the same as disparagement of a newbie for being a newbie (aka, having correctable ignorance). I will attempt to fix the trigger on that knee's spring.

devnet:

I apologize for misunderstanding the focus of your commentary.
devnet

May 24, 2006
5:13 AM EDT
grouch,

No problems mate. Apology accepted and returned if I pushed the envelope in a disparaging manner or direction.

dinotrac

May 24, 2006
5:47 AM EDT
Ah, harmony!!

Seriously, though, that is one of the things I like about this site.

We let our passions get worked up. We even get riled up. Sometimes we say things we wish we hadn't.

When we need to, we shake hands and make up.

So much better than relentless flames. So much better than a stream of innofensive pap.

A body could learn something here.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!