Beautiful!

Story: OpenDocument in Massachusetts: War of the WordsTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
grouch

May 22, 2006
7:57 AM EDT
Well said, Mr. Parris!

You gave me a whole new way of viewing that commercial message. It's also a (heat) ray of hope. The invading Martians were eventually beaten by the 'bugs' inside. (Each carries the seeds of his own destruction, within).

"At any rate, in all the bodies of the Martians that were examined after the war, no bacteria except those already known as terrestrial species were found. That they did not bury any of their dead, and the reckless slaughter they perpetrated, point also to an entire ignorance of the putrefactive process. But probable as this seems, it is by no means a proven conclusion." -- H.G. Wells, The War of the Worlds, The Epilog
mvermeer

May 23, 2006
9:37 PM EDT
Hear, hear. Great writing. (And this time, great spelling too :) It made me think two new thoughts. Firstly (although you may say that's not your job) you didn't make clear the dissimilarity between Stitch's and Orson Welles's motives: the latter was a humanist intending to use the fiction device only artistically (and then it got out of hand...). Secondly, since when are "thinktanks" about providing reliable information? The very name is another example of framing language, and only the quotation marks intimate that you're not falling for it. Too subtle perhaps for most readers.
dcparris

May 23, 2006
10:04 PM EDT
Thanks. I hope I can bring it all home in the morning (new reply to Titch). :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!