in the real world

Story: Wikis Are a Waste of TimeTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
jimf

May 23, 2006
5:02 PM EDT
I'm usually not too in line with Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols stuff, but this time he's right. Wikis are always the first thing that somebody brings up for a documentation solution, and the first that gets quietly dropped a few weeks or months later down the line. I've seen it over and over. A wiki will only work if 'everyone' is totally committed to the concept, and, as a result we almost never see good ones. Too bad, another concept that doesn't work in the real world.
tuxchick2

May 23, 2006
8:32 PM EDT
I wouldn't blame Wikis, but rather the notion that simply using a computer makes you an instant expert on everything. In the olden days there were clerks, secretaries, and librarians that managed information retrieval and storage. These days we are drowned in more information than ever, and we need those trained pros to handle it. Just like having a copy of GnuCash doesn't make you an accountant, and a word processor doesn't make you an author. Yeah, wikis are the hot fad, and they're not for everyone. But for some folks they're good tools.

The article itself wanders a lot- citing Wikipedia as an example for 'wikis are stupid and it's not a real wiki anyway' is kind of dumb.

The biggest reasons people don't rush out to adopt new tools in the workplace is they don't get training, and they're pressed for time. We're a long way from magic Star Trek-type computers, but PHBs don't seem to know this.
jimf

May 23, 2006
8:59 PM EDT
In my experience, a wiki needs to be a rather closed affair with only those qualified and capable of structuring and presenting accurate information. Otherwise it rapidly becomes a mess... A training issue as you say.
Scott_Ruecker

May 23, 2006
9:10 PM EDT
I agree with both of you, Wikis are a great idea. But the implementation of it is severely lacking. I think that a Wiki for personal use, such as a personal dictionary/encyclpedia database is very cool and can work well as long as those who can change content is managed with care.

But that is the problem with public Wikis, no or not enough content managment. How can you cite Wikipedia if there is essentially no information validity checks in place? Now if all the teachers at ASU put together a Wiki that they let me view and cite in articles, and they were the only people allowed to contribute and/or change content. I would use that source with much less trepidation.

The reason that the 'StarTrek' style computers will not(I hope) and really cannot happen is because as we have all asked at one time or another, What is really true? What is true and how do we know it? Seriously, know what we know.

Can there be and should there be only one version of information, like the amount of information that would be in the computer in Star Trek. I sure hope not.

I still wouldn't mind having one of those U.S.S. Enterprise computers though, in the ship of course. This is Star Trek were talking about right?

:-)
jimf

May 23, 2006
9:15 PM EDT
If i'm gonna have a talking computer, I want the one from the ship Andromeda :D .
Scott_Ruecker

May 23, 2006
9:24 PM EDT
As long as The Holodeck comes with, I'm a happy man.

Andromeda is a complete Hottie though. You got me on that one.

Me with the Enterprise and you with Antromeda...So Jim, Where we going this weekend?

Wouldn't that be COOL!!

LOL
dinotrac

May 24, 2006
12:31 AM EDT
Andromeda...mmmmmmmmmmmm.

So, let's see...

Can your wife get mad if it's really just a spaceship?
jimf

May 24, 2006
12:58 AM EDT
Well if got the Antromeda, no offence Scott, but I ain't spending the weekend with you :D

And dino, It's unlikely that my X will get mad.
tuxchick2

May 24, 2006
7:10 AM EDT
If I had a Holodeck do you think I would EVER come out? Would anyone? As if!
tuxchick2

May 24, 2006
8:34 AM EDT
oh, and returning to the actual topic here- it doesn't matter what the project is, someone needs to be in charge. Any project, it doesn't matter what or where, needs structure and discipline to succeed. "Anything goes" results in, duh, anything going.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!