numbers don't tell the story

Story: Titch's OpenDocument Straw Man FallsTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
jsusanka

May 24, 2006
9:12 AM EDT
"Titch even misleads with respect to OpenOffice.org's popularity. According to the latest statistics at OpenOffice.org's website, there have been nearly 63 million downloads of OpenOffice.org. Even accounting for duplicity, that's not exactly "dismal". This doesn't count the copies sold on CD or shared among users. OpenOffice.org probably has close to 10% of the total market share. If we add in the users of Sun StarOffice, KOffice, and IBM Workplace, I would say the number of OpenDocument users is significant. Additionally, several other applications are still implementing the OpenDocument standard, thus opening the future to an even greater number of users."

I always wondered how do you measure the adoption of open source. I downloaded Openoffice and I made cds for seven people - so how do you count that?

same goes for linux adoption - it might be quite bigger than we all think. I downloaded the latest linux distro and gave it to three other people - how do you count that?

if you are just counting sales then ya microsoft dominates - because you have to pay out of the wasoo for windows and it is not even better - so I don't know what all these people are paying for. easy of use? that subjective - I think linux is easier to use and install than windows any day. so all these are myths created by press that microsoft invites over for lunch.
tuxchick2

May 24, 2006
9:33 AM EDT
Those are all excellent questions that "real" "tech" "journalists" and "analysts" forget, whether on purpose or out of abysmal ignorance is hard to say.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!