But it's okay to Dictate Procurement to Parents?

Story: Titch's OpenDocument Straw Man FallsTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
acmarsh

May 24, 2006
12:27 PM EDT
Why is it commonly required and considered perfectly acceptable for taxpayer funded public schools to require my child to submit not only a printed paper, but also a Microsoft Word file with it?

A copy of Microsoft Office 2003 Student and Teacher edition retails for $149.00. This is provided I have a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, or a late model Macintosh. If my computer is more than five years old, I'd be forced to replaced it.

This discriminates against people who choose to run other operating system software. It also discriminates against low-income people who could choose any of several excellent free software packages to do the same paper.

Also, say I decide to write my own operating system software and my own word processing software from scratch. I would be open to litigation if the system I wrote for myself was capable of reading and writing to Microsoft's proprietary formats.

jdixon

May 24, 2006
12:37 PM EDT
Oh, they not only try to dictate your OS and Word Processor, they try to dictate that your kids watch certain TV shows and read certain magazines. The fact that you might not get TV programming or want to get (or have your kids read) those magazines never seems to occur to them.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!