Excellent Key Phrase...

Story: Open source ubuntuTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
devnet

May 25, 2006
5:06 AM EDT
This article contains one excellent key phrase that EVERY distribution out there should perk their ears up and listen on:

"Technology is no good if people can't use it. And by people I don't just mean me (please, reader, dry your eyes for my techno-foolishness). I mean those in the developing world, priced out of running the latest Microsoft or Apple software. Linux offers a real opportunity for developing nations – not only because it is free to own but also because it can run on hardware that the developed world would otherwise send to landfills. But if you need a degree in computer science to use it, then barriers to access are just as real."

This article wasn't put together well by the author though...she rambles to and fro without much direction and with a misleading title. Afterall, she hints that Ubuntu might go proprietary but we all know that this won't ever happen due to the fantastic nature of open source. But I read it just the same...it wasn't boring. And I think that the phrase I quoted above is a fantastic one out of the article...I think it's the most important piece of info the article contains.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!