Translation: we're afraid we'll stop being the boss

Story: Java won’t fracture like Linux, says SunTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
hiohoaus

May 28, 2006
5:19 PM EDT
Sun are in their own way struggling a fair bit, and this is one of the "crowns" they still own. F/OSSing Java would boost Java like crazy but not necessarily Sun's control of it.
tuxchick2

May 28, 2006
5:20 PM EDT
what does Sun gain from controlling Java?
JackieBrown

May 28, 2006
8:02 PM EDT
Wow, Sun making a snide comment about linux. Boy am I shocked.
hiohoaus

May 29, 2006
1:11 AM EDT
tuxchick2: the business karma of riding herd on something nearly as important as Ruby (-:
hiohoaus

May 29, 2006
1:13 AM EDT
JackieBrown: yeah, next thing you know, MS might do it too...
1c3d0g

May 29, 2006
4:46 AM EDT
"Translation: we're afraid we'll stop being the boss".

/me claps e-hands...that is EXACTLY what they're afraid of. Very, very well put! It would be very interesting to see the reaction of SUN's executives, when they're confronted with this conclusion...
dinotrac

May 29, 2006
5:40 AM EDT
>Translation: we're afraid we'll stop being the boss.

Maybe, but I'm not sure that's exactly what it is. It's not like Sun is really the boss of anything right now.

They may be very concerned what happens to them if java is opened up and control given to a standards group.

Last I looked, IBM was outcompeting Sun. They are justifiably afraid of giving up their lever. Too bad they haven't executed a business plan as well-conceived as IBM's. Sun is in a real competitive pickle with IBM on one side and Linux on the other.

And then, though I hate to mention it, there's always .Net (whether Redmond's or Novell's).

crusadingknight

May 29, 2006
10:09 AM EDT
As far as I know, linux hasn't splintered. At least, I have yet to see any derivative kernels floating around, except occassional specialty patches.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!