Do they really?

Story: Pixel abuse: the wonders of 3D graphicsTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
jimf

Jun 03, 2006
9:05 AM EDT
> Desktops need 3D.

Ok, I'll play devils advocate on that one... Do they really? From what I've seen, everyone would like things to run faster, but most users (excluding gamers) Don't need, or even want much more than 2D. One might point out that whatever wizardry you do, you are really dealing with a 2D screen surface, so you can only create the 'illusion' of 3D. When we get that true holographic environment, then you can talk about 3D. Until then, I'll take my 'overturned toolbox' as preferable to whatever else I've seen.

I do like his comment on interface devices. There are days when I think that Bell Labs stuck us with the absolute worst solution. That's certainly an area that could use a rethink, and any attempt at future 3D will require it.

It would seem to be Gamers that are driving this thing, and while it may be important to them, 3D emulation currently adds little to most tasks or apps on a computer. While I agree that Desktop design is pretty bad, I just don't see that 3D is the answer to that bad design.
dcparris

Jun 03, 2006
9:16 AM EDT
> While I agree that Desktop design is pretty bad, I just don't see that 3D is the answer to that bad design.

Well, that way you can see the design flaws in 3D - you know, it adds depth to your perspective. :-)
peragrin

Jun 03, 2006
9:22 AM EDT
3D yes but not in ways you might think. Projects like Sun's Looking Glass are where 3D should go. How would you like the ability to tag websites with notes? not with some tricky javascript that only works sometimes, but locally. Click a button and the browser flipped over so you could take notes.( I think a sidebar type would work better, but that's me)

But before we can really make use of cool ideas like that we need standards for documents, videos, audio, that work across everybody's potential machines.

Till then we are stuck with no way out.
jimf

Jun 03, 2006
9:26 AM EDT
> Projects like Sun's Looking Glass are where 3D should go.

That's one of the least impressive things in memory.

> How would you like the ability to tag websites with notes?

Lol.. not really.

dcparris

Jun 03, 2006
9:51 AM EDT
> How would you like the ability to tag websites with notes?

I think I would simply prefer bookmarks on steriods - better equiped for note-taking.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!