Shame on Ubuntu for borking printing

Story: Printing with Ubuntu: Insights for a quick and easy Ubuntu printer installationTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
tuxchick2

Jun 03, 2006
9:17 AM EDT
A useful article about printing in Ubuntu would tell how to restore the functionality of the CUPS web interface. The Gnome printing manager is functionless poo on wheels, and the dev's insistence on disabling the CUPS interface is retarded. Printing is difficult enough without borking what functionality exists. The CUPS 1.2 interface has all kinds of new functionality, including complete server control. To re-enable it, note the instruction right on the front page. Go to http://localhost:631/:

"Administrative commands are disabled in the web interface for security reasons. Please use the GNOME CUPS manager (System > Administration > Printing). /usr/share/doc/cupsys/README.Debian.gz describes the details and how to reenable it again."

Take a moment to cuss the stupidity of disabling this and not replacing it with something that works well and provides similar functionality, and the stupidity of compressing a tiny text file just to create one more hurdle for users to leap over. Then read the README with zless:

$ zless /usr/share/doc/cupsys/README.Debian.gz

The two keys actions are to add the 'cupsys' user to the shadow group, and to make sure your own personal user is in the 'lpadmin' group, which it probably is:

$ adduser cupsys shadow $ adduser [memyself] lpadmin

Then reboot.

The fun is just beginning, because the CUPS web interface won't ask you for a login right away, noooo, it will let you roam around and appear to be doing things, and just when you think life is good and no more problems are going to bonk you in the face it will ask you for a login. Use your own, don't use root, though if you have set a root password on your system the root user will work.

Anytime you need to restart the server, you'll probably have to drop to the command line, because none of the graphical tools- not Gnome's, not KDE's, not CUPS', do this reliably:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

A tip for installing a new printer, especially USB: make sure it is plugged in and powered on when you start up your PC so CUPS will see it.
dek

Jun 03, 2006
9:27 AM EDT
Dear TC2,

Why do you need a web interface for printing if printing is done locally? Inquiring minds want to know . . . . I don't get this issue -- perhaps because all the gray matter in my head has leaked into my beard . . . . ;-)

Thanks,

Don K.
jimf

Jun 03, 2006
9:33 AM EDT
Both the Cups and Gutenprint projects deserve censure for their difficulty in set up. I can always get them to work, and work well, but, I'll be darned if I can explain 'how to' for another user. Those projects needs to start concentrating on a more reliable way of specifing what is need to do a reliable setup.
tuxchick2

Jun 03, 2006
9:48 AM EDT
dek, that's a good question. Sending logins over http is of course foolish from a strict security perspective. In the real world, nah. I have yet to hear of a security breach via CUPS. First of all, do administration as an unprivileged user, that's just basic server security. Secondly, you can restrict CUPS administration to localhost, so no logins are sent over the network.

You are right that you don't need a web interface for local printing- my complaint is disabling it without providing a useful alternative. The currently available alternatives are not suitable.
dek

Jun 03, 2006
10:15 AM EDT
TC2: The currently available alternatives are not suitable.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Where does the printer management in Gnome need to improve? It's simplistic to be sure but it meets all my needs. Granted, my printing needs are pretty simple. I don't do a lot of color printing or photos. Basically I just print text.
tuxchick2

Jun 03, 2006
11:02 AM EDT
Shall I count the ways? You can't manage the server or manage network printing, or do any diagnostic or maintenance tweaks, or any kind of fine-tuning at all. I do hope you are not suggesting that because you do not need these things, they do not need to be included.
dek

Jun 03, 2006
11:26 AM EDT
TC2: Shall I count the ways?

I admit that my needs are limited to desktop printing so I wasn't sure why you were so adamantly opposed to Gnome's printer management. I agree that those items you mentioned would be useful to have even if I personally don't use them at this point in time.

In fact, now that I think about it they're probably even more essential in business and enterprise printing at which Dapper is supposed to be aiming. So it is surprising that they do indeed, have such a limited printing tool.

Thanks for explaining!

Don K.
dinotrac

Jun 03, 2006
2:32 PM EDT
jimf -

A GREAT BIG GIANT HIDY HO!!!!

Printing has been the bane of my Linux life. Your comment is brilliant. I can always get things to print...but damned if I really know why or how.
tuxchick2

Jun 03, 2006
2:44 PM EDT
dek, I just want you to know my peeve is directed at the frikken computers. Not you. :) I love tech and computing, but sometimes I just want to stab it right between the head.
tuxchick2

Jun 03, 2006
2:47 PM EDT
jimf, what's wrong with Gutenprint? I took the lazy way and waited until it was in Ubuntu. Works like a charm!
dek

Jun 03, 2006
3:01 PM EDT
TC2:

I can definitely identify with your comments!!! I enjoy it to a point but now and again I feel like putting my fist in the monitor!! Especially after messing with M$!! (I provide unofficial tech support to friends and relatives. I'm very fond of saying to them, "Friends don't let friends use Microsoft!")

Don K.
jimf

Jun 03, 2006
5:15 PM EDT
Nothing at all wrong with Gutenprint itself tuxchick. It works just fine 'once it's set up', as does Cups.

The problem, at least in Debian, is that no one is sure exactly what files are necessary to do a specific setup. Gutenprint and Cups package descriptions do little to clarify the situation and googling only turns up more confused users, so, you need to be nearly psychic to make them all work together correctly.

I keep ending up with a system that works fine, but I can't explain to anyone else how I doed that? A very unacceptable and uncomfortable situation for an Engineer :(
richo123

Jun 04, 2006
5:06 AM EDT
gksudo kprinter works for me in most cases. I agree with Torvalds on this issue: gnome sucks b...s when it comes to configuration options. In this respect kde is miles in front.
jimf

Jun 04, 2006
6:24 AM EDT
Yes richo, kprinter is way ahead of anything in gnome, And a great setup tool in itself, but you guys are really missing the point.

The problem is that most if not all of these packages have poor or cryptic descriptions to the point of disinformation. For example, something simple, try to find the package containing the 'printer drivers'. Clearly labeled... I think not. It's like these guys 'want it' to be obtuse.

foomatic --- 10 packages --- you normally need 3 of these

Cups --- 24 packages --- you normally need 8-9 of these

Gutenprint --- 9 packages --- you normally need 2-3 of these

Additionally, It is critical that those of you running mixed repo builds keep 1 version of the package sets. Mix and match is a total no no, and probably will trash the whole setup.

that is for the local stuff. You'll still have to have all the network sharing stuff set up for accessing accessing remote printers, but that is easy after this BS.

Now maybe tuxchick, that is why ubuntu/kbuntu is giving you the stupid/simple version. It's just to convoluted for your average user to set up? But limiting options and restricting privileges is no solution at all. This is a trend with Ubuntu that is IMO stupid and dangerous. Better that descriptions and instructions are given so that one can set the whole thing up properly.

I also don't really care that Ubuntu keeps dumbing down the interface, that seems to be a Gnome tradition and I won't use Gnome anyway, but lately, Kbuntu seems to be picking up the same bad habits.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!