Any Interest in LXer Swag?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
dcparris

Jun 07, 2006
4:44 PM EDT
Is anyone interested in LXer swag - t-shirts, mugs and other goodies? I'm not promising we'll do it. But if you let us know, I will look into it.

Incidentally, I'd be curious to see what people can do by way of using the LXer logo in a background image. Any artists running loose around here?
dinotrac

Jun 07, 2006
5:08 PM EDT
lxer swag, eh?

Maybe.

I know I still cherish my pretty black Linux Today mug, from a run made for staff members only back at a time when the staff still had some life to it. Hmmmm. It was getting near the end of that era. Maybe there's a reason why it's black...
jdixon

Jun 07, 2006
6:35 PM EDT
> Is anyone interested in LXer swag...

Interested, yes. Have money for, probably not anytime soon. :(
salparadise

Jun 07, 2006
8:26 PM EDT
Very possibly. As long as it's not via CafePress.
tuxchick2

Jun 07, 2006
8:29 PM EDT
I could be tempted by either a mug or a USB stick. T-shirts are nice, but can be a PITA getting a decent selection of colors and sizes.

Sal, what's wrong with CafePress?

I propose a new Lxer rule. No more saying "foo is teh bad" without saying why. :)
salparadise

Jun 07, 2006
9:22 PM EDT
Well, they have nigh on 3000 "Linux" branded T-shirts and assorted underpants, thongs and so on. Nothing wrong in that. (Aside from the slightly worrying thought that some people actually want Linux branded underpants).

One of the shirts says "Linux - Because profit is for jews".

I find this to be unaccaptable.
dcparris

Jun 07, 2006
10:27 PM EDT
> Nothing wrong in that. (Aside from the slightly worrying thought that some people actually want Linux branded underpants)

Well, it certainly explains the penguin thong from Cafe Press that have been arriving at my door, addressed to foo@parris.local, with love from bar@parris.local. Looks like my laptop is in love with my desktop.

hkwint

Jun 08, 2006
12:27 AM EDT
An LXer automobile would be nice.
theboomboomcars

Jun 08, 2006
8:20 AM EDT
A mug would be nice, or maybe a water bottel type thingy. If they were a few dollars I may be able to even get one.
tuxchick2

Jun 08, 2006
8:27 AM EDT
hkwint, I think the idea is we buy the stuff, not LXer. :)
salparadise

Jun 08, 2006
8:47 AM EDT
Get yourself a t-shirt or two, a pack of iron on t-shirt printy paper and a printer. Save the lxer logo to yer hard drive, reverse it, print it to the iron-on printy paper and then iron it on to the shirt.

Voila! One low cost lxer t-shirt.

Advantages - see above.

Disadvantages - the tumble dryer will ruin the transfer if tumbled on hot, as will frequent washing. (I did myself several linux t-shirts this way. The bigger the design the shorter it's life, the opposite is true).

And finally, if you're using the gimp it can sometimes tell you're using T-shirt printy paper and will automatically reverse the image for you. Check the print preview - I printed out 10 sheets before I realised that the Gimp had helpfully reversed all the images I'd already reversed.

Here endeth the lesson.

;-)

Scott_Ruecker

Jun 08, 2006
4:22 PM EDT
Count me in for a whole bunch of LXer t-shirts!!

That would be the coolest thing ever! I would give them away to my friends and family.

dthacker

Jun 08, 2006
8:25 PM EDT
Let's see, you'll need some slogans for that swag.....

"LXer, when you've outgrown slashdot." "LXer, All the news, none of the flames" "LXer, shining light into the dark corners of your server since (when was this place founded, anyway?)" "LXer: We don't just cover the open source universe, we help you build your own!" "LXer: Fair and Balanced. Really. We're not kidding."

I promise to purchase one of something for myself and a few for door prizes at the next installfest......

Dave
salparadise

Jun 08, 2006
9:47 PM EDT
LXer: Fair and Balanced. Really. We're not kidding."

ROFL

That's very funny. You cynic you.

jimf

Jun 08, 2006
9:55 PM EDT
"LXer: Fair and Biased to Linux Reporting. Really. We're not kidding."

Come on, let's say it up front :)
dinotrac

Jun 09, 2006
3:34 AM EDT
I prefer:

LXer: Because we're smarter, better-looking, and funnier than you. And, oh yeah -- we use Linux. We are SO HOT!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!