Using Google Homepage? Add LXer!

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 20
Author Content
dcparris

Jun 08, 2006
2:25 PM EDT
If you use the Google home page, you can add LXer easily enough. Browse the technology section til you see the LXer logo, and then click "add it now".
ExWindowsUser

Jul 07, 2006
6:48 AM EDT
LXer has replaced Linux Today on my Google home page. What I like best about the LXer interface is the ability to get to the desired article in a single click. With LT I had to go through the homepage to the LT summary, then click again for the whole story. If I want to see article summaries, then I just click on the title bar. Yet another pleasant departure from LT is the lack of ad space - LXer is nice and clean. Please keep it that way!!

Oh, and THANK YOU!
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 07, 2006
11:02 AM EDT
ExWindowsUser: Why you like LXer.com is why I LOVE LXer.com.

As far as I can tell, LXer is the only Linux news site that directly links to the article and does not have a %$@&-load of ads in the way of finding it.

Basically, if you want news concerning Linux and FOSS, you go to LXer.com

Period.

:-)

get it? period.?

Oh, I'm good
jdixon

Jul 07, 2006
11:42 AM EDT
> Oh, I'm good

Yes, but as I told Dino once, we haven't figured out for what yet. :)
salparadise

Jul 07, 2006
12:53 PM EDT
I wasn't going to comment on this but I can't let it pass...

Anyone who uses Google and doesn't feel ashamed and dirty is in a dire state. At best it's moral pretence, at worst it's spitting at the downtrodden in China. It's not even as if there isn't an alternative. Don't you care? All this waffling about freedom and choice. What about the freedom of the Chinese? You HAVE to vote with your mouse. Refuse to use the services of liars and cheats. Those who line their pockets at the expense of others are wicked and evil. Worse are those who, knowing better, turn their hearts away in the name of convenience or "wow, google earth".

Come on and stand up now. The only way to let these people know they've messed up is by refusing to use their products and services. Google should be boycotted, along with yahoo, cisco and Microsoft, if for nothing else than for their shameful dealings with this repressive regime.
hkwint

Jul 09, 2006
11:38 PM EDT
I'm also trying to boycot Google, but I only _have_ to use their search engine. It was before China, because I am a little concerned by my privacy.

Is there a usable non-yahoo alternative for the search engine?
salparadise

Jul 10, 2006
12:01 AM EDT
http://www.ask.com

Hasn't let me down yet.
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 11, 2006
8:02 PM EDT
Don't they all link to Google's engine in one way or another?

The power that Google has over our access to information is hard to ignore, especially as of late. But are there alternative sources of access to indexed information that are 'truely' not associated with Google in any way? I ask because I really do not know. As far as they have their fingers buried into the internet, I would find it hard to believe that there is a real alternative that is 100% independent of Google's influence.

If I am wrong then I am glad to hear it and where this alternative is.

jdixon: "Oh, I'm good Yes, but as I told Dino once, we haven't figured out for what yet. :)"

I am not sure either but when I find out, I'll let you know. :-)

Scott
salparadise

Jul 11, 2006
8:56 PM EDT
AFAIK ask.com presents results at the top and bottom of each page of results that are labeled as "sponsored results". These are linked in some way to google. The rest, as far as I can tell, are straight links to pages. This appears to be the case because I have konqueror set to reject all cookies from google, so when I click on a "sponsored link" the "accept/reject this cookie from google" box appears, even though the link does not open any page with google in it.

The love of money is the root of all evil. (It's not true because it's written down. It's written down because it's true). Google is an example of this. "Do no evil" turns into "evil schmevil - hand me the cash".
jdixon

Jul 12, 2006
6:27 AM EDT
> But are there alternative sources of access to indexed information that are 'truely' not associated with Google in any way?

As far as I know, Altavista is still independent, and at one time was fairly good. I don't think they've kept up, but you could take a look at them:

http://www.altavista.com/
grouch

Jul 12, 2006
7:21 AM EDT
salparadise:

Call me dense, but I just don't see how Google is responsible for the political problems of China.
salparadise

Jul 12, 2006
9:12 AM EDT
It's not. It's making money by helping the oppressors. Is that not enough?
grouch

Jul 12, 2006
9:24 AM EDT
salparadise:

Are you going to make me use Google to discover the sordid details about Google?

All I'm aware of right now is that Google had to make some concessions to be allowed in China. That's too vague to be more than rumor, really.
jimf

Jul 12, 2006
9:41 AM EDT
I's my understanding that google provides user information to the Chineese government on demand. Part of their agreement to get the market.
grouch

Jul 12, 2006
9:57 AM EDT
jimf:

Thanks. I just used Google to look for news about Google and China and came up with this:

"Google's launch of a new, self-censored search engine in China is a "black day" for freedom of expression, a leading international media watchdog says."

"Its e-mail, chat room and blogging services will not be available because of concerns the government could demand users' personal information."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4647398.stm

Is there a later news report where Google agreed to surrender personal information?
salparadise

Jul 12, 2006
10:11 AM EDT
Google were the ones who said "do no evil". I didn't ask this of them, they said it freely. And then threw it all away for a few dollars more.

Oh poor poor google, such a poor company, struggling to make ends meet and then forced to bow to the Chinese Gov' in that way...

Shrugging and saying "we have to comply with local law" is just bulls**t.

In criminal law it's called aiding and abetting. If you help a man commit a crime you are just as guilty of that crime. The same applies to corporations. Moral responsibility does not end at the workplace door.

jimf

Jul 12, 2006
10:18 AM EDT
I really haven't been following it that closely. That may be the way they got around / justified it. I know that China has continued to threaten and that yahoo actually did hand over info... not sure about Google.

I question how ethical Google is being about this whole thing. They justify their China contact by saying that it's better that the Chinese people have some Google than none. On one hand they are wringing their hands about the China venture. On the other, they sure didn't turn it down, and seem all to eager to accept the emperor's coin.

Personally I don't like the enablement of the Governments power, but, I haven't stopped using Google either. If it gets any worse, I will.
jdixon

Jul 12, 2006
10:49 AM EDT
> I's my understanding that google provides user information to the Chineese government on demand. Part of their agreement to get the market.

I have not heard that this is true. Not saying it isn't, merely that I've not had it verified anywhere.

What is certain is that they have agreed to censor search results per the direction of the Chinese government. Supposedly they will note this within the search results, to let the user know that the censorship is taking place. I'd like it even more if they made a complete list of the censorship rules publicly available. I doubt the Chinese government would allow the Chinese people to access it, but at least the rest of the world (especially Google shareholders) would be able to evaluate what they were doing.
jimf

Jul 12, 2006
12:04 PM EDT
> I have not heard that this is true. Not saying it isn't, merely that I've not had it verified anywhere.

Well, that's what I'd first heard, but nothing since then to confirm, so maybe it's all garbage :D. My observation was that they shut up awfully fast after the agreement was reached. I'd really like to see in writing what the official Google policy is toward China.

salparadise

Jul 12, 2006
12:37 PM EDT
Not likely. It was reported in the UK that Google lost 13 billion in the days following the China deal. Too much money at stake to be honest?

The question you have to ask yourself is this. Would you use Google if they censored YOUR search results? If the answer is no, then how can you use them knowing they're doing it in China?
jimf

Jul 12, 2006
12:55 PM EDT
Well sal, as per your suggestion, I'm now using ask.com.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!