Excellent Piece

Story: Don't Let 'Intellectual Property' Twist Your EthosTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
dcparris

Jun 10, 2006
10:14 AM EDT
RMS has done a fantastic job of articulating his arguments here. He normally does, but there is little room here for people to accuse him of being a radical maniac.
dinotrac

Jun 10, 2006
10:56 AM EDT
Rev -

All right then, I'll bite.

RMS is a radical maniac for writing this piece.

I say that only because I don't have time to read it at the moment and may not be able to say it afterwards. Frankly, RMS has disappointed me a little bit lately. He's found appropriate expressions of protest, clearly and reasonably articulated positions that make sense even to non-utopian ga-ga heads. A troubling trend.
tuxchick2

Jun 10, 2006
4:12 PM EDT
wow, dino, first the attack dog and snails, and now this. I think you ticked off $deity. Better sacrifice a bullock or a virgin or something, quickly.
jimf

Jun 10, 2006
5:18 PM EDT
Virgins are almos extinct these days, but bull is cheap.
dinotrac

Jun 10, 2006
5:26 PM EDT
tc and jimf:

Somebody told me where I can find a ready supply of virgins.

Just one thing - how do I get hold of this Branson guy?
jimf

Jun 10, 2006
5:31 PM EDT
> He's found appropriate expressions of protest, clearly and reasonably articulated positions that make sense even to non-utopian ga-ga heads. A troubling trend.

Honestly, I've noticed that too. Very disturbing.
grouch

Jun 10, 2006
5:37 PM EDT
dinotrac and jimf:

It's not RMS who has changed so much, it's just that you've each, now, experienced enough radical activity such as the Sony rootkit and SCOG and Digital Restrictions Mania that RMS looks merely logical by comparison.
jimf

Jun 10, 2006
5:48 PM EDT
I don't think so grouch. RMS really does seem to have adapted a slightly approach (style?) to his writing. I still find his earlier stuff a bit obtuse.
dinotrac

Jun 10, 2006
6:36 PM EDT
grouch:

Sorry, but no.

I got my feet wet with radical activity when it meant being gassed and having big nasty men take the badges from their shirts and tuck them away in pockets as they chased you with big ugly sticks.
jimf

Jun 10, 2006
6:52 PM EDT
> I got my feet wet with radical activity when it meant being gassed and having big nasty men take the badges from their shirts and tuck them away in pockets as they chased you with big ugly sticks.

Lol... you too huh :)
dinotrac

Jun 10, 2006
6:59 PM EDT
>Lol... you too huh :)

Fortunately, I was a lot thinner and a lot faster in those days.

A lot dumber, too, which is why I needed to be thinner and faster.
jdixon

Jun 10, 2006
7:06 PM EDT
> A lot dumber, too, which is why I needed to be thinner and faster.

There you go again Dino, making grandeous claims about how much you've improved. :)
dinotrac

Jun 10, 2006
7:06 PM EDT
jdixon:

Ouch.
jdixon

Jun 10, 2006
10:20 PM EDT
> Ouch.

It's OK Dino. I don't think I've gotten any smarter over the years. In fact, I'd have to guess that my intelligence has actually gone down over the past twenty years. I can only hope that my wisdom has improved enough to compensate. :(

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!