Yes, and it works great.

Story: Google the Earth with LinuxTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
mvermeer

Jun 14, 2006
1:29 PM EDT
I have the same video chipset, i810, which on FC4 doesn't even do direct rendering, but the speed is OK. Not fast, but quite bearable. It even works at the same speed over remote X!

Good to see Google remembering where they came from after all.
dinotrac

Jun 14, 2006
2:11 PM EDT
Very, very cool.

Of course, the picture of my house is at least a year old -- it shows the big elm tree we had to take down last summer due to Dutch elm disease.

Still....

Very, very cool.
richo123

Jun 14, 2006
2:43 PM EDT
On my "bug-ridden" Ubuntu Dapper, i810 works great with direct rendering and google earth is amazing. I found my house and discovered I had a white car whereas in reality it is black. Hmmm
tuxchick2

Jun 14, 2006
3:02 PM EDT
Ok, let me see if I understand this. Cookies are bad, data collection of personal information is bad, winduhs phoning home is very bad- but satellite photos of your home that anyone can look at are kewl??
richo123

Jun 14, 2006
3:09 PM EDT
Yeah I grant you it is a bit creepy, but a jerk in a car with a gun out the front is more creepy.
jimf

Jun 14, 2006
3:32 PM EDT
Well, everyone is touting how great all the google stuff is and that may be true, but, my distrust of large corporations comes to the fore when i see stuff like the new google supercomputer that will have two (2) cooling towers and will likely be the most powerful in the world. These guys are a little too ambitious for me. Right now they appear friendly and all, but, If they ever turn nasty, we're all screwed.
dinotrac

Jun 14, 2006
3:47 PM EDT
tc, jimf, et al:

I will admit that cool, creepy, and frightening are not mutually exclusive.

A year-old satellite photo doesn't bother me so much.

The one that creeps me out is the one where you can enter a phone number and it gives you back the name and address. Admittedly, something you can do with reverse directories, but the scale...
dcparris

Jun 14, 2006
3:53 PM EDT
> Right now they appear friendly and all, but, If they ever turn nasty, we're all screwed.

Ah yes, all things in moderation - even paranoia! A little wine is good for the body and a little paranoia is good for the mind. :-)

And the picture of my house is great for helping new visitors find me, but unfortunately, also allows Microsoft to spy on me. They now know I have a car in my driveway. Note to self: must camouflage house and driveway...
dinotrac

Jun 14, 2006
3:56 PM EDT
Hey Rev -

Don't happen to know where I can find a roof-sized "Up yours!" sign, do you? ;0)
grouch

Jun 14, 2006
5:56 PM EDT
I tried Google Earth once before but it nearly melted my connection. Maybe someday the Great and Benevolent Telco will grant me a boon and upgrade my connection from abandoned fencewire to real copper. I will then replace the Pringles cans with coffee cans, as I hear they move more bits per hour.
dcparris

Jun 14, 2006
6:51 PM EDT
Dino: > Don't happen to know where I can find a roof-sized "Up yours!" sign, do you?

No, but I bet you could draw it with OpenOffice.org Draw. Just be sure to get a ream of paper and plenty of scotch tape. ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!